Chapter 10: The Right Decisions

I wanted to try something a little different with this chapter. It was... interesting writing from a different point of view, not to mention from two whole new characters. Enjoy!!

***********************************************************************************

All the lights were on at the manor. It was another late night for Angeline. It had been at least a week since she had heard from her eldest son. A seventh year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, he was an adult now, but Angeline couldn't bear the idea of setting him free into the world. Her two other boys were only three, still nowhere near leaving the nest.

She paced the foyer, awaiting the arrival of her older brother, Lucius. He was bringing news. Angeline hadn't had butterflies in her stomach this bad since her wedding almost twenty years ago. When the doorbell rang, she felt her insides flip.

She opened the door to see a man wearing a dark cloak. He carried a cane with a snake's head as the handle. His hair was bleach blond, and was just about as long as her own. He had merciless, icy blue grey eyes, and his pale skin shone in the moonlight.

"Good evening, Angeline," he greeted.

Angeline gave her brother a hug and then quickly ushered him inside. "What brings you here on such short notice, Lucius?"

"These are dark times, my dear sister, and I need to advise you on some crucial information," Lucius pressed on. "I trust Senior is home?"

Angeline nodded. "In the kitchen."

Lucius took a seat on the couch; Angeline sat on the loveseat across from him. "We will begin when he gets here."

A man walked into the room. He had short raven hair and deep sapphire blue eyes. He was wearing business attire: the tie, the slacks, and the works. He took a seat next to Angeline, taking her hand.

"Nice to see you, Lucius," he greeted.

Lucius smiled lightly. "Senior, I believe we have some business to attend to, involving our sons."

"Well, begin when you're ready," Senior allowed.

Lucius cleared his throat. "Very well... as we all know, the battle between us and the Ministry has intensified within the past few months, and it's getting dangerous for us all. Now at the last meeting, a task was placed on Artemis and Draco."

Panic swept across Angeline's face. "I thought Artemis wasn't getting involved in this!"

"He didn't have a choice," Lucius hissed. "None of us have a choice. We either have to kill or be killed."

"What does Artemis have to do?" Senior asked.

"The Dark Lord has requested that he and Draco kill Albus Dumbledore," Lucius explained.

"That's suicide, Lucius!" Angeline shrieked. "They're just boys!"

"They're eighteen, Angeline! It's not our decision anymore," Lucius retorted. "They're adults now and we have to accept that fact."

Angeline sighed, resting her head against Senior's shoulder. Her brother was right. Artemis was an adult, and he had to make his own decisions. She just hoped they were the right ones...

Late November

Voldemort was not pleased. He paced the room with an annoyed look upon his face. He had given Artemis and Draco their assignment back in August; they had yet to ask upon it. His snake, Nagini, slithered up the coat rack. He gently stroked her head. As he spent time with his pet, a wiry-haired man entered the room.

"Can I assist you, master?" he asked.

"No Peter. You cannot," Voldemort mused.

"You seem angry, sir," Peter went on.

"Nothing for you to be concerned about," Voldemort mused.

He heard a knock at the door, and Peter rushed out of the room to answer it, only to return a few minutes later.

"It's Artemis Fowl Junior," Peter announced. "He wants to have a word with you."

Voldemort cringed at the name Artemis Fowl. For some reason he could not fathom, the boy got under his skin. He was too much like Voldemort as a child growing up. The Dark Lord knew that Artemis was a force to be reckoned with, and was better to have him on his side than against him.

"Let the boy in," he hissed.

Peter rushed off, returning moments later with Artemis. His dark cloak was covered in snow and when he removed his hood, a small pile fell onto the floor. Voldemort saw the dark circles under the boy's eyes. He had been restless, that was obvious. He shooed Peter away from him before he bowed slightly.

"Good evening, my lord," Artemis greeted.

"Good evening," Voldemort responded. "What is it that you need?"

Artemis cleared his throat. "Well, sir, it's about my assignment." Voldemort gave him a nod, allowing him to continue. "As it turns out, Dumbledore is a difficult target," Artemis began. "We haven't been able to catch him alone. To kill him we're going to have to be extremely sneaky about it."

"I don't care how you do it," Voldemort hissed. "He just needs to be killed. With him out of the way, there will be nothing left protecting Harry Potter. We have already infiltrated the Ministry; it's only a matter of time before we have complete control."

Artemis nodded. "The deed will be done, sir. Just please be patient."

"You've got 'til New Years," Voldemort demanded. "If the clock strikes midnight and that old bat is still alive, you and Draco both will have a serious punishment."

Artemis bowed slightly again. "I understand, my Lord. There's no need to fret. I've got it all under control. I assure you."

Before Voldemort could give a response, Artemis Disapparated, vanishing in thin air. The Dark Lord shook his head. What was he thinking? Giving a big mission to mere boys could turn catastrophic. He shrugged it off. If anything, he left it in the hands of Artemis Fowl. And those were very safe hands indeed.