Chapter 5: Am I sick?

Artemis

I awoke to the sound of the common room door shutting. Either someone was leaving or someone was coming in. I didn't care which. I just knew it was probably time to get up. I was still curled up in the ball I had fallen asleep in.

Suppose I should go to the field, I thought to myself.

Doing it slowly and very carefully, I stood and wrapped my Slytherin blanket around my shoulders. Then I proceeded to go to my dorm to change into my robes. There I found my cousin, staring into the mirror, combing out his blond hair. Malfoy was such a narcissist.

"It's going to get messed up anyways," I commented.

"Shut up, Artemis, and change. We don't have that much time before practice starts."

I changed into my green robes, slipping my Slytherin hat over my messy raven colored hair. My sapphire eyes sparkled with some sort of determination. There was a lot I needed to get done today. Malfoy and I grabbed our broomsticks. We made our way to the field in silence.

My thoughts went to the night before. Had Audrey really told me that I was her "special boy"? That she liked me? Despite my attractive and intelligent qualities, it was hard to believe that anyone could like me like that. Did I like her back? I remembered my stomach flip just before she told me. Was that because I had feelings for her too? I was assuming so because the vanilla pudding stayed in my stomach.

"You're awfully quiet, Fowl," Malfoy noticed.

"Well you are too," I snapped.

"Don't snap at me," Malfoy demanded.

"Then don't get in my business," I ordered. "I can be quiet if I want to."

It was silent after that. We had finally reached the Quidditch field. The team was standing around waiting, chatting amongst themselves. And then I saw her. She was sitting alone. She looked kind of down, or worried. For one reason or another, it bugged me.

"Ten minutes!" I called out. "Get mounted and up!"

Everyone mounted their brooms and started flying around the field. All except Audrey, who gazed intently at the ground. I walked over to her, unsure of what I was actually going to say.

"What's wrong with you?" I asked.

She gave me a look that made me step back. "Oh, I don't know," she replied. Audrey stood and mounted her broom. Then she was in the air.

I followed her, wondering what I could have possibly done. She hovered in the air. That was until I rode up. I watched her fly away, going fast around the court. When she stopped, I flew over. However, she flew away. I stared after her. She wouldn't let me get close enough to her to talk at all.

"What's her problem?" Malfoy asked, flying up next to me, juggling three golf balls.

I glanced around. No one was listening. They were all flying laps around the field below us. "Well, last night she informed me that she liked me."

Malfoy chuckled. "She is way out of your league. She gets perfect grades, she had high O.W.L.S., and she can play Quidditch."

I rolled my eyes. "So did I. And I can play Quidditch."

"Well," Malfoy said, "what did you reply?"

A sigh escaped my throat. "That's the thing: I didn't have the chance to reply. She left."

Malfoy shook his head. "Well, what did you want to reply?"

I took another look around. No one was around again. "I have a warm, fuzzy feeling. Is that natural? Am I sick? Feel my forehead!" I could feel myself panicking, but I didn't know why.