Chapter 12: Love Like Winter

This chapter is a little short, so I apologize. The next bit will be much longer. I just have to transfer it from notebook to type, so bear with me for a little bit. My next week will be hectic with college starting. Convocation tomorrow, so I doubt it'll get done then. But... who knows? Hope you like it.

*****************************************************************************************************************

Audrey

I sat in a chair in the girls’ dormitory on Christmas Day. Pansy Parkinson was curling my hair, pinning it up. I had already done my make-up and we were just doing the final touches before we put on our dresses.

We were not alone in this matter. All the other Slytherin girls (not to mention all the rest of the girls in the school) were in preparation for the Yule Ball. We were all excited about the dance. Even I was, and I typically hated dances. But then again, this was the first dance for which I actually had a date.

She pinned up the last curl. “There; you’re done.” She spun me around so I could see myself in the mirror. Everything was perfect.

“Thanks Pansy,” I replied. “It looks great.”

“No problem,” she retorted. “Just be lucky I didn’t have to do my hair.”

I smiled, standing and going over to my bed post, where my dress hung. The burgundy coloration of the dress shown in the bright winter sunlight. Amongst all the noise and disruptions, I snatched it off the hanger and quickly changed into it. I slipped on my heels, giving me a much needed height boost, even if it was only by two inches. Five foot- four was better than five foot- two any day.

I did a little twirl, and Pansy shook her head at me. “You’re going to knock him dead,” she said, a little stunned herself.

I found myself blushing. “Oh shoosh.”

“You and I both know it,” Pansy replied. “He’s going to be stunned.”

I sighed as she continued to get ready. “You think so?”

“I don’t think so, I KNOW so,” Pansy answered.

“Like you won’t have the same effect on Draco,” I replied.

Pansy shook her head. “He’s only taking me for a lack of better options. He’s not interested in being more than friends.”

I about hit her. The girl needed to open her eyes. “Whether he admits it or not, I know he has feelings for you. He wouldn’t keep coming back if he didn’t.”

“Maybe,” she muttered, slipping into a teeny-tiny green dress. It suited her. She was skinny enough to pull it off; me, not so much.

The girl slipped on silver high heels to match her dress. Pansy and Draco had to be representing our house colors: green and silver. They had always been proud Slytherins. Some Purebloods I would never understand.

Pansy stood and looked over at me. “You ready?” she asked.

I nodded, then followed her down into the common room. We walked into the myriad of other students hustling around, doing last minute things to prepare. Amidst all the chaos, I saw my ray of sunlight.

Artemis stood in the corner of the room, talking aimlessly to Draco. At least, until he saw me. He stopped talking mid-sentence, staring in my direction I stared back at him. How could I not? He was gorgeous, not that he wasn’t any other day. He wore a black suit, a white dress shirt, and a burgundy tie to match my dress. His normally unkempt raven hair had been combed through. Artemis left Draco’s side and met me half way.

He wrapped his arms around me, pulling me close to him. The sweet aroma of his cologne whisked through the air around me. I couldn’t stop myself from smiling. Artemis pulled away from me after a few moments, but still held my hand tightly.

“You look beautiful tonight,” he said.

I felt my cheeks go pink. “Thanks, Arty.”

“Ready to go to the dance?” he asked.

I nodded briefly before we began our walk to the Great Hall. When we arrived, the hall was already alive with activity. The hall was decked out with winter decorations: snowflakes, Christmas trees, wreaths, lights. Students and teachers were coming in and out of the hall. The dance was about to begin.