Chapter 4: The Special Boy

I kind of combined two parts here to make it a little longer than the last few posts. Plus these two really go together well. Hope you continue to enjoy!

****************************************************************************************

Artemis

I stared at the fire inquisitively in my pajamas. The warmth of the fire mixed with the too comfortable common room chair and my pajama pants with my loose black t-shirt and Slytherin blanket covering my body made me sleepy. I pulled the blanket up to my chin and then pulled my knees up. I had gotten comfortable when I noticed someone coming into the room.

"Did I wake you?" a voice asked me shyly. Audrey came into view. She had a profound expression on her face. I was finding it difficult to read. I couldn't decide whether she was happy or not.

I eventually shook my head, though she probably couldn't see it. "No, I still have to wait up for Malfoy."

"You left the hall early," she noticed, taking a seat by the fire. Her brownish eyes looked a honeyish color, a color I had never quite seen in someone's eyes before.

"Yea, my cousin tried to force feed me vanilla pudding, and I don't even like pudding," I shrugged. "Why did you leave so early?"

"I can only take so much of my friends," she said, getting comfortable in the chair, bringing her knees up to her chin. "Plus I was hit on by a guy whose face was covered in chicken. Low key, it was creepy."

I chuckled. "Ron Weasley?" I assumed.

"Yea! That creepy ginger kid!" she answered. "He is so disgusting! If you're going to try to talk to me, don't spray food all over the place when you talk." Audrey shuddered at the thought of Ron's half-chewed food.

I can imagine how disgusting the whole ordeal probably was. "He is pretty creepy," I concurred. "Besides, we all know gingers don't have souls."

"Exactly! And he can't play Quidditch to save his life." She flicked a stand of brown hair behind her back. "I hope I hit him in the face with the Quaffle this year!"

"One reason we will beat them," I chuckled.

"He just can't take a hint," she muttered, irritated. I could tell she was frustrated. It was apparent in everything from her body language to her voice.

"A hint that you don't like him?" I asked.

"None whatsoever," she confirmed. "He doesn't understand I don't want anything to do with him. He's below me. Besides that, he's a Gryffindor. I would be more of an outcast than I already am if I were to date him." She paused for a moment. "And I don't even want to imagine double dates with Nikkie and Harry."

Wow. She really didn't want him. I almost felt sorry for him. Almost. But with this, there was another side of the story that I was sure she wasn't telling me without my asking. I narrowed my eyes. "If you don't like him, who do you like?"

"No one," Audrey answered way too quickly. She looked away from me, focusing her eyes on the roaring fire in the fireplace.

"You answered too quickly," I told her simply.

She furrowed her brow. "Excuse me?"

"You answered my question too quickly," I repeated. "You didn't even think about it, therefore you are lying. There is someone you like."

She sighed. "Well, to be honest with you," she said, "he doesn't even know I exist. We've heard of each other, but we've never talked until recently."

For once in my life, I could say that I was confused. It took a lot to make me confused. Girls... well, they especially confused me. And I didn't enjoy the feeling very much. "What's he like?"