Misery

We immediately reported it to the police, but they said they had nothing to do with the ghost town. Many of their officers tried the ghost town but all of their guards were broken in an unknown way. None of them had returned and was assumed dead. So we left the precinct speechless.

Our last hope was the old man. We searched for him in his place, but according to the town’s people, there were no old man like him existed. We didn't believe them. The old man never existed in their place according to them. We almost yelled at them because we really met the old man! I can't believe what they said. I saw the old man with my two eyes. We even talked to him. I tried to look for his hut, but it seemed to be found nowhere.

People told us to go and to never come back because we were troublemakers. They said we had to accept the fact that there was no such old man I was referring to in their place.

We left the town hopelessly.

We did everything we can. But we never retrieved our parents. We lost what little hope we had. We couldn’t move on to what happened them. That was very unexpected and life-ruining.

It was like, we were carrying a ton of sadness, and we can't get rid of it. Even if we entertain ourselves with our interests, still, the distress won't go. I wished I can kill misery. I wished I can remove all of it instantly. I cried for several nights while my sister comforted me. I recalled all the memories we had together, and it just adds to my sadness.

I turned 17 but my parents never came. From the night my parents vanished, I suffered from insomnia. No matter what medicine I take, it wouldn't stop. I can't take my parents and the old man off my mind. They are etched into my mind, I can never forget it.

Since the loss, every night became a nightmare. Literally. Every night when I drifted to sleep, I always had a not-so-sweet-dream. And after being awakened by the gory and horrible events, a black figure would appear standing near the door. After a blink of an eye, it would just vanish into thin air. That caused me insomnia. Sometimes I would just wish that I would never go to sleep again. I wanted to end the misery and my curiosity. Even if I never find my parents, I still wanted to know what happened to them. That’s what I repeated telling myself for years.

My relationship with Alex suffered too. She used to be attentive and sweet, but after what happened, she spaced out, thinking about our parents. There were days when my mood was out of control, a fight between us two would be unescapable.

Her ignorance made us fight once.

I asked her, "Hey. Can I have my allowance now? I have to go to school now. I'm already late sis. Please?" 

"I don’t have my wallet here. Just walk." she answered.

"What?! How can I go to school? I can't walk, I have a muscle cramp." 

After few seconds, she didn't answer. She just stared at one place as if she never heard me blabbering. So I got annoyed and shouted,

"Why are you so uncooperative?! Oh please! Can't you see I'm fucking late?"

 "Shut the hell up!"

 "Is this because of mom and dad?" The moment I said that, I regretted it. Her face contorted into sadness. She looked like she was about to cry.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that." Trying to take back what I said, I saw her blink back tears.

So I didn't mind about school. I didn't attend it after knowing that my sister was sick. I did apologize to my sister. I comforted her and cared her. I felt so stupid. But she still forgave me. A little joy filled a little part of my heart.

 But still, the nightmares won't go. Instead, it became worse.

Sometimes, when the nightmare was violent, a headache would wake me up. I would then get sick for some reasons. 

The time came when I couldn't stand the bad nights and the misery we'd been experiencing for three years. I talked to my sister about  my plan for the hundredth time.

"No! How many times do I have to tell you it is dangerous?" my sister yelled.

"But-"

"No buts! I will never let you go to the ghost town!"

"Please let me!"

"Do you want to die?!"

"Everyone dies!!!!! And everyone dies for a purpose! And that purpose is to know what happened to our parents! I don't care what happens next as long as I can stop my curiosity, and if I became lucky, I might retrieve our parents!" I answered her loudly. Alex was stunned. I sat on the chair and looked back to her.