Cliché!: The Phantom of the Spoof part 2

Today was the day we were supposed to put on the play Romeo and Juliet. I was kind of nervous, but Mr. Paisley and Mr. Kulla cheered me on.

We were supposed to have three shows, one tonight, one tomorrow afternoon, and another tomorrow night.

Today was the first show. Everyone was there at 4:00 and the show was supposed to start at 6:00. Everyone was scrambling around getting to where they needed to go. There were a few groups of friends just hanging out while others we standing in line to get their makeup done.

After I slipped my costume on, Mrs. Giry said she would do my makeup. “Remember, make her look beautiful!” Mr. Paisley said. “Yes, I know Monsieur.” Mrs. Giry said annoyed.

After she was done with my makeup, Mr. Kulla said, “Oh my god! That is not beautiful! There way too much lipstick, not enough blush, and to top it off, there’s a smudge right there!” “I think I look fine.” I said. “No, everyone will think you are not beautiful, we’re done, we’re ruined, we’re...” but before he could finish his sentence, Mrs. Giry slapped him across the face.

“Thank you.” He said. “Zorry about zat.” said Mrs. Giry. “Zey are crazy.” “Yeah I’ve known that for a long time.” I said. Mrs. Giry giggled.

After every one was all set, Mr. Paisley and Mr. Kulla gave a little speech about how proud of us they were, and for first timers that they could do it, and they made the cast give a round of applause for me because I was good enough to take over the role of Juliet.

After that, the audience began coming in. For a few minutes, the tech crew was doing last minute things such as fixing a prop or setting up for the first scene.

I was a little nervous, but I told myself that I could do it. “Break a leg Casey.” said Gracie. I gave her a confused look. “It means good luck in theater talk. Otherwise it’s bad luck.” “Okay then, break a leg to you to then.” I replied. Then the lights went dim and Mr. Paisley’s voice boomed out of the speakers to announce the beginning of the play.

Suddenly, I had the feeling I was being watched. I shrugged it off, it was probably stage fright.

The performance went great that night; outside I saw my parents and Minnie with a bouquet of flowers. They congratulated me on my performance. I was actually kind of surprised I didn’t forget any of my lines.

Someone tapped me on the shoulder. I turned to see a guy I didn’t recognize. “Hey Casey, I just want to say you were awesome. You were totally better than Carla Espenta.” “I’m sorry but who are you?” I asked. “Don’t you remember me?” said the guy. “I’m Ron DePagney, your best friend in kindergarten?” Now I remembered!

“Oh yeah, hey, why aren’t you in Tennessee?” I asked. When we were about seven years old, he moved to Tennessee because of his parents’ jobs. “My parents divorced a week ago, and so now I’m living with my dad here, but it’s good to see some I know.”

Suddenly my parents saw who I was talking to. They went over to Ron and asked him how he was and what was he doing here and all that shit. Minnie was too busy flirting with Brendan Komen.