Chapter One

CHAPTER ONE

Today was the day Joanne would find out if she was finally getting that promotion she had been pushing for, for a year now. It was very difficult to get up in the Ugandan tourism industry especially with the increasing number of young beautiful graduates looking for jobs compared to her who was thirty years old, single and the bread winner of her family.

"God Life can be so hard! but please big man let me get this promotion, you know I have to pay for Cindy's tuition and mother has to go for surgery soon, please baby Jesus help me out here," Joanne prayed silently as she waited to see the Minster of tourism.

"Miss Malaika, the Minster will see you now," the secretary informed her. She moved and made for the door knocking before entering. The minister gestured for her to take a sit, which she did fingers crossed, hoping for the best.

"Ah miss Malaika, how have you been?

"Fine sir, thanks for asking"

"I have good news for you and may I say, you do have a lot of people routing for your promotion. And with that who am I to deny it. So my dear congratulations you're the new permanent secretary of the Ministry of tourism.

Joanne was so happy she jumped running to the Minster and giving him a hug as she shouted her thanks for recommending her for the job.

"You're welcome young lady. You start on Monday, your office does need organizing but it's down the hallway".

"Thank you sir", she repeated again as she left the Minister's office.

That evening after having moved her files and personal staff in to her new office she sent off her new secretary and also left to catch a taxi back home. As she was moving down the street to the city square, a situation caught her eye, there right in front her was an old American couple about to be cheated by a boda boda man, who was charging the couple more fare than what was usually charged. She decided to intervene, as the assistant to the Minister of tourism she ought to help the couple out since they seem to be on vacation.

"Excuse me. Hello", she greeted the couple, then turned to the other man and told him off, threatening to report his to the central police station for theft. He hurriedly started his motorcycle and drove off but not before cursing her out.

"Are you guys okay, she asked the couple who were smiling at her.

"We are okay dear. Thanks to you".

"Okay then am off, have a lovely evening and vacation, she told the couple turning to leave but the old lady caught her hand.

"Hold up sweetie, why you don't join us for tea at our hotel"

"I would love to ma'am but its getting late.

"Just tea here at the Sheraton, please sweetie. Mathew here will get you a taxi to personally drop you at your door step. And please call me Jessica".

"Okay, I guess one cup of tea wouldn't hurt," Joanne answered walking with the hunters towards the Sheraton.

After a five minute walk to the Sheraton, they were finally seated in the hotel's restaurant waiting for their orders to arrive when Jessica decided to introduce herself fully,