Chapter Five

No dedication this time, sorry - hope you like x

'Nikki...'

It was the end of the day and I was at my locker collecting my bag.

'Oooh, talking to me now are you?' I glared at Nathan who was now leaning against his locker, running his fingers through his lush hair.

'Look, I'm...um...I don't really know how to put it.'

'How to put what? Is this your way of apologising? Gee, great job Nathan.'

'Nikki, I...uh...' Nathan sighed.

'You know what frustrates me most Nathan? The fact that you -'

'I'll meet you outside Nikki...' Jenna interrupted. She walked away from our lockers and thats when I realised Nathan and I were alone in the hall.

'I've gotta go - I can't be bothered to stay here with a guy who can't even apologise properly.' I turned to go but Nathan grabbed my arm and pulled me back. He gently pushed me up against my locker and stood infront of me. I blew my side fringe out of my eyes but it fluttered back down in exactly the same place as before so Nathan brushed it away. His fingers tickled my cheek as he did so.

'I don't get it...' I whispered.

'What don't you get?' Nathan whispered back, his eyes fixed on mine.

I sighed and looked at the floor then I brought my eyes back up to meet his stare, 'Why do you hate me?'

He looked away from me and took a while. I took this silence as a chance to look into his eyes for a glint of anything. His hazel eyes were soft and then he shrugged, 'I don't.' he answered, simply.

'Then what was the point in earlier? You just completely blanked me for no reason! Nathan, I don't get it - if you don't hate me, why don't you try to get along? Yesterday, I thought we were friends but today...' I trailed off, 'Why are you doing this?'

He shrugged again and I rolled my eyes. He sighed and said, 'Because you're you.'

'What's that supposed to mean?'

'Gar!' Nathan exhaled in frustration, 'Damn you Nikki, damn you.'

I frowned at him.

He leaned forward so that our foreheads were touching, 'How long have I known you?'

'Two days, why?'

He leaned forward more, making our noses touch, 'I think I already like you...'

I looked up into his eyes.

'Nikki Runnells and Nathan Stillman get out of school now! What do you think you are doing?' It was Mr Rickles. Now, I was in some deep manure.

Nathan pushed himself away from me and I straightened up, tucking my side fringe behind my ear. Again, it instantly fell back into it's favourite position: infront of my right eye.

'Sorry sir... Umm, I'll go now...' I blushed and picked up my school bag that had fallen onto the floor.

'Can I just ask one thing...?' I stopped in my tracks. Nathan was asking the head a question - that surely wasn't going to be good?

Mr Rickles huffed, 'Hurry up Stillman, I have paperwork to deal with.'

'Teachers stay in school after the bell goes to signal the end of the day, why can't we?' Nathan crossed his arms.

Mr Rickles flared his nostrils and looked very annoyed indeed, 'Come with me Nathan Stillman.' Then they both walked off in the other direction.

I ran down the hallway and out of the school doors, across the field and through the school gates. Jenna was sat on the school fence, on her phone. Holy croissants, I'd forgotten she was waiting for me...