The Devil's Angel - Chapter 26

The anticipation of the wedding was almost a tangible energy flowing through the air and infecting every person it touched. The ceremony was due to take place in just ten minutes and the place was alive with the excitement only a royal wedding could bring. Even I felt a hint of giddiness at the prospect of a wedding.

We had been here for just three hours and I had yet to lay eyes upon Hades. He had been ensconced in his rooms, drawn into the last minute wedding preparations and wedding rituals. Everyone was rather closed lips about what these rituals were and I didn't press the matter. It felt wrong to intrude.

Instead I had wandered the halls, admiring the exuberant decorations and the delicate blooming flowers which formed ae path through the palace and led me towards the throne room where the event was to be held. I didn't get to see the throne room itself. Sheets of silky red fabric had covered the doorway and sentries had stood guard keeping everyone out except those who had been permitted early entry.

So I allowed his staff to take care of Danny and me.

I was quickly dressed in a beautiful gown which was not only flattering to my form but incredibly beautiful too. It was a gorgeous dark purple colour with lots of intricate beading on the tight bodice. It cinched in my waist to exaggerate my curves, the delicate fabric flaring slightly at the waist. It skimmed over my hips before tumbling down to the floor in waves of beautiful vibrant silk. My hair had been braided and hung over my shoulder; pieces of royal purple ribbon were woven through the thick glossy strands. I suspected someone had been using some magical talents on my hair as it now stretched down to my waist and glittered magically in the light of the gemstone ceiling.

Spinning around in a circle, I giggled slightly as Danny held onto the edge of the skirts and took a few spins with me. I felt like a fairy tale princess for the first time in my life. It was mainly due to the sparky tiara they had placed on top of my head. It felt completely ridiculous but apparently it was procedure now that Lucius had declared me as his intended.

Last time we had been in the underworld, when Hades has announced his engagement to his beautiful bride, Lucius had asked me to sit in the smaller throne by his side. I still wasn't quite up to date on all of the protocols of the Hell but there was no denying that single gesture had changed everything. All of the staff within the palace treated me with deference, as if I had already been crowned.

I shook my head and took Danny's hand in mine, following the floral path through the palace once more. My little boy looked far too grown up. I felt a pang of grief for all that I had missed as I took in his ensemble, a black suit with a dark green waistcoat and tie. He even had polished black shoes on. With his hair slicked back, he looked so different to the baby I had given birth to and then the little boy who had been spirited away by angels.

His little face lifted, a smile on his lips and a rosy flush to his cheeks as he struggled to keep up with my fast pace. He clutched onto my skirt as we wandered through the halls following the stream of attendees as they made their way towards the throne room once more.

The red material has been pulled aside allowing us entry into the room itself, the guards no longer positions as sentries.

As we stepped through the entrance way and on to the aisle made out of flower petals from flowers which could only be found in the Elysian Fields I felt my breath catch in my chest.

"Wow," Danny murmured from my side.

I nodded my head dumbly in agreement.

The place had been transformed. The outside had been brought inside. Trees lined the exterior of the room, their leaves ranging from soft pinks, autumnal reds and browns to delicate blues and spring greens. Little lights danced about their leaves, twinkling softly like little stars among the branches.