The Devil's Angel - Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Sitting in the back of the car, my trusty PR woman at my side, I let my breath hiss past my clenched teeth.

"Try not to worry. Despite her job title, the Prime Minister is just a person too." Ms Bridger intoned blandly. As per her usual, the woman's gaze was glued to the screen of her phone as her fingers tapped away. "She is a normal person that was voted in to the position she is in now. She is a woman of the people."

"Right, she's a woman of the people." I closed my eyes and gulped. It didn't make it any easier. "How many are supposed to be there?"

Glancing at the bustling crowds outside of the car, my stomach felt heavy like I had swallowed a large stone. We were outside one of the newest restaurants in London. It had emerged from the rubble of the city, becoming immensely popular with the rich and powerful. They were all too quick to show their affluence despite the way the majority of the city was living. They seemed to like rubbing it in the fact they had come out of the battles unscathed while others suffered. The visit to the shelter had brought home the harsh reality of this new world. There had always been poverty and hunger in the world but its effects were spreading. The damage by the horsemen had been done.

"I don't know the exact number. I was not privy to the full information but I imagine there will be at least ten of you gathered." The petite woman lifted her head and gave me a long assessing look. "Take down your hair. You look too severe with the bun. We need to show your approachable side."

With a shake of my head, I complied. A sigh of pleasure escaped my lips as I let me hair loose and massaged my fingers into my scalp to reduce the uncomfortable ache from having my hair pulled back too tightly.

"Better?"

"Much." Ms Bridger replied her gaze once again on the handset held tightly within her grasp. "Now are you going to get out of the car sometime today?"

I rolled my eyes but allowed a smile to form on my lips. Releasing the door, the sounds of the city rushed up to greet me like old friends. It still amazed me how much I had let myself become detached from the world. But this was it – this was life.

Stepping free of the car, a large ebony skinned man rushed towards me. His form was bulky and obtrusive with the amount on muscle built onto his large frame. His large arms parted the crowds, clearing a path for me to the entrance of 'Paradise.'

Inside, the sounds of the city were replaced with soft chatter and tinkle of cutlery on fine china. And I was completely underwhelmed. To me it was just like every other overpriced restaurant I had even been to in my life. Not that I had been to many.A woman in a sleek black dress stepped into my line of vision. She could have worked at any of the other restaurants I had visited. Her smile was wide and yet her expression was formal despite the spark of recognition in her gaze.

"Do you have a reservation? I'm afraid we're fully booked tonight."

"I'm meeting with the Prime Minister?" I didn't mean for it to come out as a question but it still felt absolutely ridiculous to be saying it.

The woman pressed her lips together, her hand coming to play the neck of her dress. Her eyes darted over my shoulder looking at someone behind me. I didn't turn, no matter how much that I wanted to. Was I missing something here? Was there a secret code word that someone had forgotten to give me? It would be surprising.

"Ms Holmes is part of the Phoenix party."

I jumped, turning my head to the man at my side. And I truly felt nauseous.Victor Lyle was slimier looking in real life than he had been on the television. His cologne was thick and heavy. It strangled my senses until all I could smell and taste was the overpowering scent of Lyle. Only excellent self-control stopped me from wrinkling my nose.