The Devil's Angel - Chapter 23

As we turned a corner in the tunnel, we encountered the first sign of human security. Red lights crisscrossed across our paths, heat radiating off of them in waves. An angry hum cut through the air.

Castiel stepped to the front of our group, removing a glove as he did so. With all of us stood behind him he tossed it forwards into the red lights. The glove danced within the lights. They were not so forgiving, they tore and shredded through the fabric of the glove mercilessly. When it finally reached the floor, the glove was nothing more than glowing cinders.

"Lasers that burn? I thought that only existed in films." I stated as I waved my hand in front of my face. My eyes were focused wholly on the smoky remains. "And more importantly, how do we get past this."

The only way to turn off the lasers appeared to be the small numbered keypad embedded into the wall.

Lucius had the same idea as he moved to stand before the keypad and leaned close so that his nose was just a few millimetres away from the keys. He frowned, his lips pursing as he focused on the task at hand.

"Nope, it's not going to work that way." He muttered under his breath.

Stepping back, Lucius shook his head and then drew back his sword arm. Then, with sheer brute strength, he brought down the blade upon the keypad. Sparks shot out of the side, the metal casing exploding off of the wall and scattering all over the floor. When he pulled his sword away, there was nothing but a black charred mark and a bunch of exposed wires.

The laser kept humming but the whine they emitted grew shriller. Lucius put his hand into the box, wrapped his fingers around the now exposed wires and then pulled. There was a small popping sound and then slowly the wall of lights flickered before fading completely.

"Well that was dramatic." I added dryly.

Then, when no one made any attempt to move forwards, I rolled my eyes and took a step forwards. The action caused every single male to push and shove their way so that they could be first. I snorted and followed behind them at a more sedate pace, Binah at my side.

"They never change. They have always done the same with me." She advised her voice low so that the others couldn't overhear. "You will take care of them all won't you."

Shaking my head, I turned my head to look at her. "You cannot be having this conversation now. You cannot. It's not time yet and I am not talking about your death before it is time for me to say goodbye."

We lapsed into silence, both of us walking side by side and yet completely apart. I didn't even feel guilty. We had people to save and her talking about unrelated matters wasn't going to get us all out of here safely.

"If you are worried about anyone," I added when I couldn't take the silence any longer. "Keep any eye on Caspar. No matter what he has been though and what he is destined to be, he is still an untrained young man with a knife and a pair of guns at his disposal. I would rather he stay out of this fight completely but no one ever listens to me. I will too busy trying to keep everyone else safe. You can focus on him."

There was no immediate response and when I turned my gaze, I felt myself tearing up ever so slightly. She looked so sad; her beautiful skin was off colour and had an almost greenish tinge to it. She looked heart sick.

"Take care of him so that you can have the happily ever after that you deserve."

We breached several security doors and dismantled several booby-traps. Finally we reached a fork in the tunnels. Both were well lit. One had a large, heavy duty door and the other curved around and then out of sight. It was strange but we hadn't run into a single soul so far. No doubt they already knew that we were coming.