Chapter One

In my line of work there was no rest for the wicked. And there was definitely no rest for the Devil's right hand woman.

Despite a near apocalyptic disaster mere months before and the almost complete annihilation of London city, I was certainly no closer to taking a sneaky day off of work. I could try it but my boss would know I was lying. Not only was I less susceptible to human ailments since my first death, but the infuriating man who supplied my paychecks also happened to live in the same house as me.

It's temporary. At least that is what I promised myself every night when I closed my bedroom door on the sounds of his soft snores.

He stated that his presence was necessary to protect me from the overzealous reporters that had taken up residence outside of my house.  It was a side effect from my public outing of the supernatural. Revealing your wings in the middle of Times Square on New Year's Eve was one sure way to draw the attention of every human with access to a TV or internet connection.

Yet I knew the truth.  It was so much more than protection that had him sleeping on the sofa every night for the past three months. He was there out of pity. It was in the way that he stared at me when he thought that I wasn't looking. It was the same expression that was on his face now - with the soft eyes and the down-turned mouth.

A hand squeezed my shoulder pulling me out of my thoughts.

"Hmm, what was that?" I asked, letting my eyes lift to meet Lucius' for just a second before I dropped them once more to my lap.

Even as I did it, my heart ached. Guilt was a nasty disease that had grown within me, getting stronger and stronger each day that passed.  Lying by omission was just as much of a sin as a bold lie but I had promised to keep this secret. I had promised not to break her trust and now I was paying a hefty price.

"I asked if you were hungry. You didn't eat this morning." His deep voice rolled over me softly as he whispered his words. It used to bring me comfort but in that moment it only brought more discomfort. 

"No, I'm not up for eating right now." I lifted the half-forgotten papers in my hands. "I'm still catching up on this paperwork. The authorities have finally authorised the demolition of the tower provided we submit the following paperwork in the next fourteen days."

The Satani Media building, the earth-side office for the Devil and his demons, located in central London had been subjected to a volley of attacks when the Horsemen of the Apocalypse had gone a rampage. The building had suffered far too much damage and would not be salvageable.

It wasn't the only casualty of the battle - not by a long shot.

"Leave that." Lucius ordered.

He crossed the room in a few quick strides. My heart thudded loudly in my chest and my hands grew clammy even as I focused my gaze down on the crumpled papers within my grasp.

"Savannah, the building can wait a few more days. You however need to try and get better." He crouched down beside me, his hand forcing my head up so that I had no other choice but to look into the depths of his gaze. "I can't stand by and watch you do this anymore. I have remained silent for too long. Please Savannah. My Vannah, tell me what is wrong?"

I closed my eyes and sucked in a sharp breath. The pain and despair in those few words was almost my undoing. The man was rare in his displays of true pain and I felt each terrible emotion resonate with my own soul. But I couldn't break her trust and I couldn't be the one to break his heart.

Instead, I pressed my lips together and rested my head on his shoulder, taking the offered comfort.  His arm wrapped around my shoulder and when I made no attempt to speak, the body beneath my head heaved a sigh.