Chapter Three

I didn't remember the journey home.

It felt like with one blink I was walking from the studio floor and the next I was sat on my new sofa with Lucius' face hovering mere inches from mine. There was a deep furrow between his brows as his gaze bored into mine. I found that I couldn't turn away from his stare. I had forgotten how comforting it was to be the sole focus in his world even if it was only for a moment.  

Instead of pulling away like I had done so many times since my last talk with Binah, I stretched up my free hand and used the tips of my fingers to smooth the frown from his face.

"Don't frown." I chastised softly, "I don't like to see you upset."

My words seemed to break any composure the man had held. His body seemed to fall in on itself as he leant into my touch.

"I'm sorry," he murmured as his eyes fluttered closed. "I shouldn't have pushed. I shouldn't have made you go on the show. It was too soon."

"Shh," I soothed, finally releasing the disc from my grasp so that I could cup his face with both hands. "It's okay. It's not your fault. I couldn't have predicted it and neither could you."

A shiver coursed down my spine.

"I don't want to feel that way again Lucius. The horror of it all is just too much to bear." I pressed my forehead to his and drew in a shaky breath. "And yet I know that my future will be full of pain and suffering and there is nothing that I can do about it. It comes with the job."

Lucius opened his eyes and stared deep within mine.

"No it won't. I won't let it."

There was a time when I might have believed his words because they held so much conviction. Lucius was adamant in that moment that he could save me from it all. Yet, as much as I wished he could make it happen, he was just one man. He may be the Devil but there were so many more people in the world who were willing to cause harm.

I smiled softly. "Okay."

We stayed like that for what could have been a few minutes, or even a few hours. Staring into one another's eyes and not saying a word. With that shared look we were saying so much - it was more intimate than any conversation we had ever had before.  I felt vulnerable and exposed under his penetrating gaze but I wouldn't draw away. I don't think I could have pulled away even if I had tried.

The loud grumble of my stomach finally drew us apart. My cheeks grew hot with a blush and I avoided Lucius' gaze like a giggly schoolgirl with her first crush.

It was only with half of my attention that I noted that the house was gloomier now that the skies outside had started to darken.

"Let me cook us some dinner." Lucius offered. His voice was gentle but no less captivating than usual as he spoke. He pushed to his feet and stroked his fingers over my cheek before taking a step backwards. "We can watch the disc while we eat."

I glanced down at the spot beside me. Picked up the DVD delicately between my fingertips, I held it at arm's length as if it might explode at any moment. What would it contain? Elaine didn't appear to be the vindictive type. She wouldn't intentionally set out to hurt a person.

Or would she? The thought popped into my head unbidden. Distrust was so easy these days.

"Here we go." 

I jumped and stared at the steaming plate of pasta that had been thrust into my line of vision. It took me several seconds to realise why it was there. I blinked up at Lucius and then back down at the proffered plate.