Chapter 24

"You look like you got into a fight. Is that why you took leave? Maybe you should go back home to recover," Officer Gina Goldfisck suggested as Jax rummaged through a pile of case folders in front of him.

He didn't spare her a glance, "I had work to do so I came in."

Gina noticed that Roberto was absent from his desk, "How's your partner?"

"At the hospital."

"I heard about his wife. It's a good thing you were able to save her," Gina said.

"Save her?" Jax finally looked up, his mouth twisted in disgust. "She's barely alive and Roberto's suffering as well. I didn't save her. I should've gotten there sooner."

"Of course you-"

"Listen, I'm kind of busy right now so if you don't have anything important to say...do you mind?" Jax turned back to his files, dismissing Gina.

Gina's lips pursed together and her fists clenched. She looked back at Roberto's empty chair and wondered how she had thought he had been the jerk between the two detectives. She cleared her throat and asked, "Which hospital is his wife in?"

Jax didn't answer.

Gina banged her palm against his desk, "I get that you're busy but I asked a question. What hospital is Detective Montoya's wife in?"

Jax's brows rose and he quickly answered before turning back to his case files, "Saint Benedict's."

Gina straightened her shoulders and made her way back to her desk where she ordered a get-well flower arrangement to pick up later.

"Even if he's a bit of an ass, at least Roberto didn't ignore me. I should repay the consideration," Gina mumbled as she made arrangements to deliver the flowers at the hospital.

Meanwhile, Jax continued to peruse through old case files that were related to Los Lobos Locos activity. There was nothing unusual except the recent death of their leader, Johnny Morales. According to the report, Morales' body had been found in an alley. As of yet, no one had claimed the kill...not even rival gang members.

An hour had passed when Jax's phone dinged and he checked the message. It was from Roberto.

Come to the hospital.

Jax touched one of his black eyes and sighed. He knew he was going to have to face Roberto again. He thought of Dani's worried expression the night before. She didn't say it but he knew she hated seeing him bruised and battered. If he hadn't felt so guilty about Gladys, Jax would never have allowed anyone...not even Roberto...to beat him. Unfortunately, the guilt he had because of Carter had been gnawing at him. It still was but he wouldn't allow Roberto to take his anger out on him a second time. The bruises were still fresh. Dani didn't like it and most importantly, kissing her with a bruised face hurt like hell.

Jax made his way to the parking lot but was stopped by a man wearing a delivery uniform, "Are you Detective Jax Michaels? One of the other officers pointed you out."

"I am. Can I help you?"

"Great. I have a package for you. I just need you to sign here," the man handed Jax an electronic clipboard to sign.

Jax took the package and asked, "Who sent this? It doesn't have a return address."

The delivery man shrugged, "I wouldn't know. I just deliver the packages."

Jax nodded and took the package, placing it in the backseat of his car. He drove to the hospital and parked in the far corner of the parking lot. He wanted to delay his confrontation with Roberto as much as possible and the long walk to the hospital's entrance couldn't hurt. He had taken a few steps away from his car when he noticed Gina Goldfisck exiting her car. She was carrying a large bouquet of lilies.

"Gina?" he called out.

Gina froze and her smile slightly deflated.

"Detective Michaels," she nodded.

"Are you here to see Roberto?" Jax asked.

Her chin bounced up and down as she nodded, "I was just going to drop off these flowers and leave."

"I'm sure his wife will love them," Jax smiled.

They took a few more steps together, "Why did you park so far away? Exercise?"

"No, I just needed some time to myself so I figured I'd walk a little longer," Jax answered.

"Ahh, I see" she said despite not understanding.

"About earlier," Jax couldn't bring himself to look into her eyes.

"What?"

"Sorry."

"Sorry? For what?" Gina's hands tightened around the potted flowers she was carrying.

"For being an ass. I was busy and angry but that's no excuse."

They stopped to face one another and Gina shook her head, "It's okay. I shouldn't have bothered you. After your girlfriend came in with that guy, I was just a little worried. That's all."

"Guy?"

Gina looked away, "Yeah. She said he was a friend and he looked pretty hurt. They were attacked by Los Lobos Locos. Or maybe by some members that were going to be initiated. I'm not too sure. Anyway, it just seems that everyone around her is getting hurt."

"My bruises have nothing to do with Dani," Jax frowned.

Gina shrugged, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have brought it up."

Gina turned to walk away and Jax placed his hands on his hips. Why hadn't Dani mentioned being attacked the day prior? He thought back to her words and remembered her saying her friend had been mugged.

He was about to ask Gina for more information when a loud explosion erupted behind them. A blast of heat propelled both Gina and Jax forward and they skidded across the pavement of the parking lot. Screams filled the air. Jax groaned as he tried to move his body but couldn't. He looked across from him to see Gina unconscious, her potted plant a few feet away from her. Jax finally closed his eyes as pain wrestled away his strength.

----------------
Later that night, Carter smiled as he watched the news clip that showed firemen at the parking lot of Saint Benedict's hospital. The news anchor, a pretty blonde, appeared somber as she continued her news story.

"Hospital officials state that this afternoon's explosion has not affected the medical care to current patients. Authorities are still investigating the cause of the explosion."

Her co-anchor gave an empathetic look to the camera before asking, "It's a shame. Do we have any updates on the two officers that were in the parking lot at the time of the explosion?"

The blonde shook her head, "Not at this time. All we know is that they remain in critical condition."