Chapter 21

"Please let her go," Jax begged.

The small rocks beneath his knees were stained with his blood. Behind him stood a cloaked figure, watching as Jax talked in the darkness. A single light shone down on him but Jax kept his head bowed.

"You let her go so easily," a voice echoed around him. "Does that mean you don't love her? I bet that's what she thinks. Poor Jax. You can never seem to hold on to the women in your life."

"Stop it Carter!" Jax felt the rocks digging into his flesh. "You need to stop this obsession you have with me. You're my brother!"

"Brother? I never thought of it that way. You're absolutely right. I shouldn't be treating my brother this way, should I?" the muffled voice asked before snorting. "Is that what you thought I'd say? Save your family speeches for someone who cares."

"Why are you doing this?"

"Stop prolonging the inevitable Jax. Eventually, you're going to realize that you're absolutely alone in this world. No one will be there for you. Not our parents. Not me. Not Vivian. Not Roberto...not anyone."

"Dani loves me," Jax whispered.

"Ahh...but you broke up with her, remember?"

"You made me!"

"I made you? I don't recall putting a gun to your head. Life is about choices brother dearest and you made yours when it came to Dani. To be honest, I was slightly disappointed. I was hoping you would have put up more of a fight. You didn't."

"How could I? With what you threatened me with?"

Again, laughter filled the room.

"What I threatened you with? I never threatened you brother dear. I stated a fact and you, being who you are, played it safe. Now look at you. You're all alone."

"You promised me you wouldn't hurt her."

"And you believed me? Let's get real here brother. You knew I'd still come after her but you broke up with her. Why did you do that? Why did you break up with her?"

"I had to! You threatened to kill her!"

"But all you had to go on was my word!" the voice yelled back. "Don't tell me you really believed me. Tell me the truth! You wanted an out and the minute...no, the second I gave it to you, you grabbed it. You're scared."

Jax felt a coldness surrounding him.

"What are you afraid of Jax?"

"Stop this!"

"No. Not until you tell me what your biggest fear is."

Jax gritted his teeth together, "Go to hell."

"Only if you join me. Then again, isn't there a saying about who gets to go first? What is it again? Oh yes...ladies first."

Jax lifted his head at his brother's cackling voice. He was forced to squeeze his eyes shut as the room was flooded with bright lights.

He opened his eyes to see the cloaked figure before him.

"Who are you?" Jax asked.

The dark figure stepped aside to reveal Dani covered in her own blood.

Jax's body heaved forward as a blood-curdling scream escaped him. His grief was mocked by his brother's laughter.

Dani awoke with more questions than fears. Did Jax really break up with her because of his brother? Why was the cloaked figure constantly appearing in her dreams? Was Jax's biggest fear losing her or getting too close to her?