Chapter 19

Donovan watched the man with glasses get in his car as he continued to pat Dani's back, "Hey, I don't know why you're so upset but it can't be that bad, right?"

Dani stepped out of Donovan's embrace, "I'm sorry. I don't know why I'm crying. I'm acting like such an idiot."

"It's okay to cry but if you want to tell me what's going on, maybe I can help you."

"I doubt it. My boyfriend just broke up with me," she wiped at her damp cheeks.

"Really? That's all?"

"That's all?"

"Couples break up and make up all the time. Was he cheating on you?"

Dani shook her head, "I don't think so."

"Well if he was, it's not like he'd come out and say it. Besides, men usually try to get away with dating two women as long as they can."

"What are you talking about?"

Donovan gave a crooked grin, "Sorry, what I mean to say is that if you give him some time, he'll probably come crawling to you and beg you to take him back."

"No he won't."

"Yes, he will. Trust me."

"What makes you so sure he'd do that?" Dani asked Donovan.

He gave a rueful smile before answering, "It's what I'd do. I hate seeing you like this. Normally, it doesn't bother me when a woman cries. For some reason you have an affect on me. Why is that?"

Dani felt her already flushed cheeks warm up, "I don't know but you're really sweet, you know that? You're a really good friend, Donovan."

"There's that word again. Friend." Donovan shrugged, "I'm what most women call the good guy I guess. It's probably why I'm still single. Anyway, that what I've heard. Women like bad boys."

Despite the pain she had been feeling, a giggle escaped Dani, "Bad boys. Not everyone wants a bad boy."

"Well I watched this move called Grease and I was thinking of riding a motorcycle, wearing a leather jacket, maybe even take up smoking," Donovan joked.

"Oh no, please don't," Dani laughed.

"Well I would but it's not the fifties and I can't stand the smell of cigarettes. Besides, the male lead had to sing a lot and I don't sing."

Dani stuck her hands in her pockets and looked down, she suddenly realized she had sobbed all over her co-worker that she knew had a semi-crush on her.

"Dani?"

"I'm sorry," she whispered.

"For what?"

"For crying to you when I know..." 

"It's okay," Donovan smiled. "Even if it's not me. Even if you only see me as a friend for the rest of your life."

"I'm sorry," she lightly lifted her shoulders. "That it wasn't you."

Donovan cleared his throat and scratched the back of his neck while looking away, "Well this is awkward. I was trying to be like this cool guy that was pretending not to be consoling the girl he has a one-sided crush on."

Dani didn't answer and Donovan took a deep breath and smiled at her.

"Now that I've been exposed, how about I treat you to some ice cream? It'll make you feel better and I'll feel like less of a loser."

"You're not a loser," Dani said. 

Donovan chuckled, "Thank you for saying that but I have a feeling that I'm still not going to get the girl. So...ice cream?"