Chapter 4

"So...spill it. How did the date go yesterday?" Dolores asked. "Did he rock your world last night?"

"Dolores," Dani whispered, looking around to make sure no one was listening. "First of all, people don't say 'rock your world' anymore and second...that's really not something you should be asking me."

"Why not? It's not like I don't know anything about the birds and the bees, honey. Besides, let a lady live a little vicariously through you. That man is yummy," Dolores patted her gray hair as she bumped her hip against Dani's.

Dani shook her head as she watched the older woman walk out of the kitchen and into the main dining area where the customers were, "I'll never understand how that woman is so...so..."

"Horny?" Donovan suggested.

Dani stared at him aghast and they both started laughing.

"She took some getting used to that's for sure," Donovan said.

"Well...she's got the mouth of a sailor but a heart full of gold. Once you ignore the heavy flirting, Dolores is a total sweetheart."

"It wasn't her words that bothered me," Donovan laughed.

"It wasn't?"

The cook shook his head as he flipped a burger, "No. It was all the butt-pinching."

Dani laughed, "Stop lying. She wouldn't do that."

"Yeah, I'm just kidding. Dolores is a cool lady. She tells you how it is," Donovan agreed. "She's a little pervy but that's what makes it funny. You wouldn't expect it by looking at her." Donovan flipped another patty while throwing some fries in a vat of boiling grease. A spray of grease flew into the air, slightly catching his right hand. "Crap!"

"Are you okay?" Dani asked, stepping forward.

"Uh...yeah I'm fine. The grease got me a bit that's all."

"Shouldn't you put something on it? What if it blisters?" Dani asked, looking at his inner wrist which was quickly getting pinker by the second.

"I'll get the first aid-kit," Donovan pulled out a blue plastic box which had a red and white cross on it. "I'm sure there's some kind of cream in here. Can you get it out while I finish this ticket?"

Dani nodded as he finished an order and pulled out the cream and some gauze to cover up the burn. She didn't know anything about first aid. Were burns supposed to be wrapped up or were they supposed to breathe?

After he was done, Donovan held out his arm, "If you don't mind..."

She looked blankly from him to the burn and gulped, "Did you want me to put the cream on it for you?"

Donovan's cheeks turned a light shade of pink, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked."

Dani felt awkward, "I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to embarrass you."

She handed him the cream, careful not to touch his fingertips. She couldn't tell him that she wasn't willing to put the cream on his wrist because that meant touching his skin which could lead to her seeing his nightmares. She'd sound absolutely crazy.

"No...it's not a problem. I shouldn't have assumed. I mean- just forget it," he turned around, ignoring the gauze and leaning over the sink to wash his hands.

"I'm sorry Donovan."

"It's okay. I didn't really expect you to put the cream on my arm."

Dani didn't respond. She knew he was lying. She could tell by his voice.