Chapter 11

Chencho stared at his reflection as he wiped Luis' blood from his face. The water from the faucet was running at full blast. He wanted to get rid of the blood-tinged water that was pooling in the sink.

"Poor kid," Chencho muttered. He tossed the stained towel in a waste basket and picked up his cell phone.

He stared at the woman with gray hair and cursed. Why would CJ want to kill some an old woman? He didn't know what the new leader of Los Lobos was after but he now had a new job to do. He snapped a picture of the woman and typed in a short message before hitting the send button. His bed squeaked as he plopped himself down for the night and closed his eyes. He didn't have a choice when it came to Luis and he didn't have a choice when it came to the old woman. He had orders after all.

--------

Death was still watching from the corner as she wheezed for air. She was tired and her stomach hurt. She could hear a gunshot in the distance and shivered. 

A male voice filled the air, "Help me find my partner. My mate. I just want to be loved. Do you know what it's like to be alone?" His voice was muffled. Almost indistinguishable. 

"I won't help you. I want to leave! My husband needs me!"

A growling sound silenced her. 

"You're not the one I want anyway. Don't you see? I'm just using you."

A pair of golden eyes appeared before her followed by a glowing set of teeth. She screamed as the mouth of the wolf began to attack.

Dani awoke with a shriek.

She had chosen to sleep in the guest bedroom, telling Jax that she wasn't ready to move their relationship to the next stage yet.

The clock told her it was almost daylight. She saw her sketchpad sticking out of her overnight bag and pulled it out along with some charcoal pencils. By the light peeping through the windows, she began sketching her dream.

A knock on her door made her look up and Jax entered wearing happy-faced boxers and a white shirt.

"Did you want some coffee, Panda Eyes?"

Dani shook her head, "I've been up for awhile."

He peered at her drawing and frowned, "Another nightmare?"

Dani sighed as she stood up, stretching her arms above her head, causing her shirt to rise up, baring her smooth stomach. She turned to see Jax with a dazed look on his face as he watched her.

"Jax, are you okay?"

He cleared his throat and gave a crooked smile, "I'm fine. By the way Dani, I know you're not ready to be intimate just yet...and I'm cool with that. I'll wait until you're ready....but are you sure sleeping in the same bed is a bad idea?"

"Jax-"

"Hear me out," he said, taking a step forward. "I just mean sleep. No hanky panky. Unless you wanted some then I'm happy to oblige. I'll provide the hanky if you take care of the panky."

Dani giggled, "Hanky Panky? You sound like Dolores."

"Dolores? I find hard to believe. She's the type that would just come out and say hot sex not hanky panky."

"True."

"So what do you say? Same bed?"

"I don't know. I was sleeping here as a favor to you. I didn't want you to feel uncomfortable," Dani admitted.

"What makes me uncomfortable is knowing you're close by but in another room where I can't keep an eye on you and have you in my arms to know you're safe."

"Jax, I told you I'm not ready-"

"I don't mean sex. I just mean holding. Here, let me show you," he pulled her into his arms and Dani inhaled his cologne.

"You smell good," she murmured against his chest.

"I hope so," Jax smiled. "I have to be at work soon. Did you want me to drop you off at the diner?"

Dani nodded and he was about to kiss her when she covered her mouth, "Morning breath. I haven't brushed my teeth."

Jax kissed her temple, "Fine, but I charge interest so you're going to owe me two kisses later."

"Deal."

"Did I say two? I meant four," Jax laughed when she pushed him away.

-----------

Dolores walked into the small home she had once shared with her husband before he passed away twenty years ago. The sun was starting to rise and she had just finished her shift at King's diner.

She thought of Oliver and how he had been in his office, busy muttering to himself. She could've sworn she heard the names Dani and Helen.

Oliver was a sweet man but he had quite a few secrets that she had urged him to share. He chose not to. He didn't want to burden Dani with the past.

She tossed her cellphone on her sofa before making her way to her bedroom, turning on the lights in her home one by one. Photographs of her husband in his Navy uniform littered the walls. They had been happy once upon a time until he passed away after being a victim of a car accident.

She heard a sound coming from her bathroom and stilled. Panic made its way up her spine as she slowly turned her head.

Was someone in her home?

She wished she hadn't left her cell phone in the living room.

She heard a noise that sounded like shampoo bottles hitting the tub. Dolores didn't wait, she pushed herself to a run as she made her way to the living room, dashing past the bathroom. She felt a hand grabbing the collar of her shirt and she panicked. It was pulling her backwards. She tried kicking her attacker but lost her footing and banged her head against the bathroom's doorway before hitting the ground, knocking her unconscious.

Chencho placed his hands on his hips and sighed, "Well that was easier than I thought."