Chapter 15: Unlikely Allies

A Haunting Past

Chapter 15: Unlikely Allies

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

        I walked down the street to the Salvatore Boarding House, a million scenarios of how this would play out went through my head. I sighed irritably, I knew Damon wouldn’t kill me but he was still pissed and that means I had lost both of my brothers. I stopped dead in my tracks, I saw Elena’s car and started playing with the engagement ring on my finger, I had replaced my old daylight ring with this one but put it on my ring finger­. I sucked up my pride then started walking again and knocked on the door.  I heard footsteps and then door opened up and I was to face with those icy blue eyes that I had been seeing in my head over and over again, playing horrible scenarios over and over again.

       Damon’s eyes turned into dangerous slits, apparently my eyes were back to normal, “What do you want Alyssa?”
      “I came to say I’m sorry…something horrible came up.” I whispered my voice breaking at the end, I squeezed my eyes shut. I would not cry, I started playing with my ring again, “Is Elena here? I should apologize to her too.”
       “What happened? It isn’t like you to suck up your pride.” Damon told me.
       “Who’s there, Damon?” I heard Elena call from inside the house.
       “Please Damon? I swear I won’t harm Elena, you, or any one of Elena’s family or friends.” I mumbled and then Damon moved to the side and allowed me to pass, I kept my head down my hair shielding my face. I kept playing with my ring, twisting it around my finger and brushing my fingers over the priceless diamonds, a small smile crept on my face despite the current situation.
         “Damon…why is she here?” Elena asked, I could hear the fear in her voice.
         “Stay back Alyssa.” I recognized Bonnie’s voice.
         I kept my head down my hair still shielding my face and stopped at the edge of the sitting room stairs, “I’ll stay back, Bonnie.” I whispered and quit playing with my ring and put my hands nervously through my hair. I could kill Bonnie in a second if I wasn’t careful and I could lose myself…then Klaus may kill me.
         “What’s the matter, Alyssa?” I noticed the voice of Ric.
         “Jeremy…maybe you should leave.” I heard Elena say, Jeremy was her brother and I never met him just seen him around school.
         “He’ll be fine, Elena. Just hear Alyssa out, okay?” Damon asked.
         “Damon…”
         “Don’t Elena…just hear her out.” Damon told her in a sharp tone. I felt Damon touch my arm but I backed away from his touch afraid the death magic may hurt him or worse.
         I didn’t look up to face any of them or meet any of their eyes, I played with my ring again, “Nik…I mean Klaus left.”
         “That’s…good?” Elena said more like a question.
         “Alyssa, why didn’t you go? Everyone else here wouldn’t know this or is too busy wondering about other things but that isn’t your daylight ring and it’s on your ring finger…” Ric started, my head shot up and I met Ric’s eyes, they were full of sympathy. My legs started to shake, my whole body did and a tear slid down my cheek. I looked down and closed my eyes tight.
          “A girl who is part witch, part vampire will learn death magic for a noble cause but it consumes her and the one she loves…” I broke off in uncontrollable sobs, I felt Damon wrap an arm around my shoulder but I quickly got out of it and ran across the side of the room.
         “will kill her.” Bonnie finished, “Grams told me about that before she died…she never believed in it but...oh my God.”
         “I’m confused.” Damon frowned and I could feel him looking at me.
          Despite the situation I looked up at Damon and I rolled my eyes, “Damon, I’m the girl I learned death magic for a noble cause. The one I love…is Klaus and he’ll kill me. So, Klaus ran he’s probably on an airplane by now…”
         “Alyssa?” Elena spoke up and I looked over at her.
         “Yeah, Elena?”
         “I forgive you. This whole mess is my fault…the noble cause was to save my life.” Elena told me, “I’m so sorry.”
          “Thank you and I forgive you too.” I smiled at her then I looked at Bonnie, “Umm Bonnie?”
          “Yeah?” Bonnie answered raising an eyebrow.
          “I need a witches help to figure this out. Can we take a walk? I promise I won’t hurt you.” I told her with a small awkward smile.
          Bonnie looked over at Elena who nodded, “Yeah, sure.”
         We walked out of the house and didn’t talk until I knew we were out of earshot of the others then I turned off and went into the woods for if anyone followed us they couldn’t find us, “Bonnie, did your Grams ever tell what happened to witches who used death magic?”
         “No…she said it was so long ago that no one knows anymore.” Bonnie answered shaking her head.
         “Well she was wrong.” I told her bluntly, “Someone who lived back then would know, Klaus. He told me that witches who used death magic eventually are consumed by it and lose their soul, their tie to nature. Other witches started killing the witches that used death magic because they start killing other witches but when I felt a tiny bit of the death magic earlier I don’t think the killing stops at just witches, Bonnie.
         “I’m going to go after vampire, witches, hybrids, and humans alike. You cannot tell anyone what I’m asking you, not even Elena. It will get back to my brothers, you got it?” I asked her.
         Bonnie gulped, “O-okay.”
         “Bonnie, if I get consumed by the death magic I want you to kill me.” I told her, I could tell Bonnie was about to protest. I had no clue why because she hated my guts, “Bonnie, you don’t understand. I’ll be a cold-blooded killer, worse than now! There is a high chance that I’ll kill Elena in front of my brothers then kill them! I can’t live with that, so please!”
          “Fine, I’ll do it. If you promise me we’ll search for a way to rid yourself of the death magic.” Bonnie told me, “If you don’t I’ll tell Damon your plan.”
          “Why are you helping me?” I asked, pursing my lips.
          “Emily came to me in a dream.” Bonnie answered running a hand through her hair, “She told me you gave up your powers to be with Stefan and Damon…even though Damon betrayed you for Katherine.”
          “I swear handmaidens don’t know how to keep their mouths shut!” I hissed then looked up at the sky and yelled, “Thanks a lot Emily!”
           Thunder cracked overhead then lighting struck down less than fifty feet away, I muttered under my breath.
           “Love you too, Emily! Though, you missed!” I yelled then a lightning bolt struck a tree right behind me and caught it on fire, I screamed and grabbed Bonnie’s arm and dashed out of there.
           “You two had an interesting relationship, I see.” Bonnie said raising an eyebrow.
            “Well, I almost killed her in 1862. Your family is very good at holding grudges even though it was an accident and I was fifteen years old and just discovered my magic! ” I muttered yelling the last part, wind blew my hair and I smelt the cookies that Emily always made me and I smiled, “I’ll look for a way out of this mess, Bonnie.”