22. Poor Dante

Dante

"I'm sure you're very happy." I said over my new phone. I had thrown the other one at the wall while talking to my father. It shattered into a million pieces.

"I don't care. I'm a grown ass adult who doesn't need your guidance. You are not my father. Share your wisdom with your actual son who has been moping around for the past week." I had no idea what was up with Sean but he seemed to be really out of it these past couple of weeks.

"Dante." Anthony let out a sigh of frustration.

"Dante nothing. You were only concerned about yourself. I'm sure you've paid off your debt by now. You can go back to whatever the hell it is you do." Anthony owed my father god only knows what, so they made an agreement–He kept me a secret and Silvo would write off whatever was owed.

"I just didn't think Skyla was the type of girl you should've been with. She knows people who–"

"Fottiti." I said. Anthony didn't know much Italian but he sure knew that one.

It had been almost two weeks since I last saw her. Well I actually saw her two days ago in the lobby with a crying Jade. I don't think she saw me though.

I knew this was for the best and I knew it was inevitable. I would either tell her the truth and have her run away from me, or I could continue to keep it a secret until she got fed up. this was going to happen. I preferred the second option. It hurt less.

***

"Can you stop?" I pushed the glass out of Sean's reach. He had been down here almost everyday.

"Can you stop?" He slurred. "In fact, I think you need one of these too. It's kind of weird how you... you," He coughed. "You break up with your girly friend but you're so calmmm." He drew out that last word. "How. Do. You. Do that?" His sentences were a mess. Even I could speak better English.

"Because," I pushed the glass away again. "We were just hanging out. It's a new year. Time to start fresh."

"Liar, liar pants on fire." He laughed.

"Shut up." I said taking a sip of the bitter liquor. "What the hell is up with you?" I asked.

"It's a secret. I can't tell you." Sean said, standing up from his chair and stumbling out of the bar.

Lately, every time I turned to someone I would get left alone. Even my best friend seemed to be going through some sh!t. I wasn't too worried... yet.

"Stop." I heard a familiar voice say. I didn't need to turn around to know who it was. "You need to do it. If you don't then I'm going to do it for you."

There was a few seconds of silence. Probably because the person on the other line was talking. Then she said, "I really will. It's not fair to anyone if you keep this a secret."

More silence then, "That's none of your business. I need to go. Call me if you need anything. Love you. Bye."

Sure. You can say it now but when I said it, you acted like it was the end of the world. I thought to myself.

If that was Nick she was talking to I would kill him. He was just as big of a liar as I was. Probably a bigger one. Despite my lying habits I'd never to do anything to hurt her. He would. I knew he would.

Skyla was just too innocent. I connected the dots almost immediately. Nick knew Silvio, he was on the run, he had no family. Never once did he tell her what happened to those family members.

I figured out what happened to them. They were murdered. Whether it was by Nick himself or my father's men, I didn't know. I did know that he had problems. He was unstable, selfish, one of those men who got jealous to the point where he'd rather kill than see her with someone else.

Another thing I hadn't told her, I talked to Nick a few days after he came to the hotel. He was the reason why I began to carry a gun again. He made it perfectly clear that he'd rather see her dead than with someone else.

That's when I used my mafia blood to set him straight. I'd kill him before he did anything to her. Even if that meant me losing everything and going back to Italy. I would do it.

He was a single insignificant man who was living in fear. I would probably be doing him a favor.

He also told me that he only went on with the wedding because he needed the money. It was true that he got Angela pregnant, and that was why he originally proposed. But after the miscarriage he went on with the wedding hoping that he could get enough money to pay my father off. Skyla's family had a lot of money.

After she hung up the phone she walked to a stool only a few feet away from me. There was a really fat guy between us so she didn't know I was there.

"Hey Alex." She said to the bartender. "Long time no see."

He laughed. "Yeah I was down in Connecticut visiting family. What's up with you?"

"Nothing much. I stayed here for the holidays."

"Can I get you anything?"

The way he leaned across the counter made me nauseous. It wasn't necessary.

"A cheese burger." She replied in that voice that she had. That voice would always turn me on. She could be talking about dog sh!t and I'd still get hard. "New year but same old me." She smiled.

Alex laughed. "Yup. I definitely agree with that."

"Well you already seem to be in good shape." Skyla observed.

"You look pretty good yourself." Alex poured her a glass of soda.

I did not appreciate the fact that he was looking at her. And what kind of dress was she wearing? That's probably why he was leaning over the counter. To get a better view of what was inside.

She laughed, causing me more discomfort. I hadn't had sex in over a week.

"Alex!" I called. I couldn't stand it anymore. This flirting thing that they had going on was sickening.

His head popped up and so did hers. Skyla looked at me. She bit down on her lower lip. I didn't know if it was supposed to be sexual but she was slowly killing me. I wanted to bite on those lips again.

Her phone suddenly rang turning her attention away from me. I have never been much of an attention whore until now. I really wanted her to look at me again. I wanted her to treat me the way she always treated me. Like I was the only one who mattered. Like I was the only one she wanted.

Like that night she came back to my room drunk, begging me for sex. That was hot. I wanted that again.

She didn't look back at me, but Alex was waiting for me to speak. "Just another one of these." I said holding up Sean's empty glass.

Awwwww :( I know I'm the author but I feel bad for Dante. Is that normal?