Chapter 1: A Different World

Now, before I get on with this story you may want to now a few things about me. My names Derrick, the same name as the story I was writing, I know, but honestly, who cares. I'm of medium hight and have straight brown hair with blue eyes. I live, or lived, in a place called Brunstown. I lived a normal life before the lightning bolt. Going to a normal school with normal friends and normal parents. The only thing that wasn't normal was my gigantic imagination. I could think up stories from anything, from dragons and magic to an ant wanting to fly, and with everything I wrote I always felt like I was there, In the story. But with the story I was writing was different. Instead of just being there I believed it was real, knew it was real and that is how my troubles started, so you might want to know what happened after the lighting bolt struck. Well just wait, I'm going to tell you.

I groaned. My eyes flickered open.

'Where am I,' was my first thought.

As far as I could tell I was in a large wooden room with oak beams stretching across the the roof and a dirt floor. I was lying on something soft and comfortable, well more comfortable then the floor, and had something soft and scratchy on top of me. I was on a bed, with one those itchy blankets covering. I tried to get up, but immediately stopped when pain shot through my body. I groaned again.

"Well," said an old voice coming form my right, "You're up, finally."

A turned around to face the voice but a shock of pain stopped me.

"Hey, take it easy," said the voice, "No need to get up at the moment."

"Where am I?" I groaned, ignoring the voice's command and trying to get back up, still unable to do so.

"In Taknor," said the voice, "and please stay down, young man, you might hurt yourself.

I turned my head to look towards the voice but found I couldn't.

"Where's Taknor?" I asked trying to think if I had ever heard of a place called Taknor. Besides the main city in the story I had been writing I had heard of no such place.

"What do you mean where's Taknor," said the man, "You're in it."

"Oh," I said, sounding slightly stupid. 

There was an awkward silence for a few moments when suddenly the voice asked, "If a may ask, what exactly happened to you? You were found in a wreck just a few miles out of Taknor. The driver was dead and there was a strong sense of magic in the air, especially around you."

'Magic' I thought confused, "Ummm, My car was struck by lightning, I think."

"What is a car?" said the voice sounding confused. 

I frowned confused and tried to sit up and look at towards the voice again. I groaned as pain shot down my back and I instantly lay back down again. 

"I said take it easy," said the voice again, I was beginning to think that the voice was an old man's voice, "Just wait here, I'll go get someone to help you with your condition."

I heard rustling and the sound of a wooden chair hitting the ground, followed by cursing, then a very creaky door opening and closing. I sighed and stared at the ceiling, there really was nothing else I could do. Eventually I drifted off into a light sleep.

I was woken up by the creaky door opening again. My eyes flickered open.

Two voices were talking, one was the voice from before and the other one was deaper, like the voice of a wise man. They two voices came closer to me and I was able to catch what they were saying. I closed my eyes and pretended to be asleep.

"This is him," said the voice from before.

There was silence for a few moments before the new voice said, "You said you found him in a carrage wreck."