Funny Thought

Vanessa's P.O.V

My eyes glanced over at Phineas and back to Ferb.

Phineas was excited to get to build again while Ferb was hiding behind his green hair.

"Ferb...?" I whispered and tried to take his hand.

He pulled it away and got up.

"Let's go." He said and walked out of the room.

Phineas skipped after him, excited, and I sat on his bed, confused.

"Krrr." Perry was still on my lap and I gently petted him.
"I can be sixteen again. That's good...right?" I asked.

Perry dropped the don't-do-much act and put on his little fedora. For a little animal, he had these wide brown eyes that were quite wise-looking.

"I mean, Ferb is sweet but I can't like him. I'm sixteen and he's thirteen. I'll be an adult in two years! Surely that's illegal...but I'm thirteen right now so I guess it's ok. Ugh I don't know. It's like I have some sort of crush on him. Crazy, huh?" I rambled on.

I looked at Perry for support but he just looked at me like he could see into my heart. Maybe he could, I don't know how O.W.C.A works.

"Krrrr." He growled.
"Ok so maybe I think he's a bit cute and maybe, just maybe, if we were the same age, I'd date him." I confessed.
"Krrrr."
"Well...I guess. I mean you're right. I am Vanessa Doofensmirtz. No one can tell me who to date!" I said confidently.

I heard some loud noises outside and I peeked out their window. There was a large delivery truck that was dropping off parts for the machine.

"Oh hey Vanessa!" Phineas exclaimed when he spotted me. "Come down! We just got the parts so you'll be sixteen in an hour!"

I guess he didn't hear me groan because he went back to his tools and a lovesick Isabella.

"Oh Perry, who am I kidding? There's no way Ferb sees me that way! I mean, I'm his sister's age! That's way too freaky!" I moaned.

Perry laid his tiny platypus hands on my back and tried to comfort me.

"Thanks, Perry...." I sighed.

"Krrrr."
"You're right. I'll just tell him. I mean, what is he going to do? Reject...me...Oh god."
"Krrrr."
"Right, right. Focus. He's just thirteen. I can't be affected by what a little teen says."

I marched down the stairs with a new surge of confidence. When I got outside, Phineas was trying to build a part of the machine but kept messing up because he was trying not to glance at Isabella who was working right next to him.

Buford and Baljeet were pretending to build but actually, Buford was trying to give Baljeet a noogie while Baljeet tried to avoid him.

When I saw Ferb, I dropped to the ground. Just the sight of him was making me nervous.

"Vanessa? Are you ok?" He asked.
"Oh uh yea. Just...just having mini heart attack...." I mumbled.
"Ok. Do you wanna build this part with me?" He asked.

His part was pretty big and he handed me a mask and a blowtorch.

"Wha-"
"We're welding." He explained and went back to his blowtorch.

There was a little tug at my heartstrings when I watched him expertly handle the blowtorch.

Most girls would be into athletes or smooth talkers but the only guy I had my eye on was neither. Instead, he was the coolest guy I've ever known.

I'm so glad for the masks because I would've been so embarrassed if he saw how red my face was.

"Vanessa?" Isabella walked up to me and I stared, still in a trance, at her.
"Uh...yea...?"
"Are you ok? You weren't wor-...are you staring at Ferb?" She asked.
"N-n-no! Why would I stare at a little kid?!" I blushed. She smirked.

"Hey, dummies. I heard the ice cream truck!" She yelled out.

Buford and Baljeet looked up excitedly and ran out the backyard.

"Come on, Phin! Buy me a strawberry cone, please?" Isabella took Phineas' arm and walked out the yard.

Ferb and I stared at them. When they were gone, I peeked at Ferb but he'd gone back to welding.

"F-Ferb? Did you want to get ice cream?" I asked, twiddling my fingers.
"I don't really want any right now." He said, nonchalantly, and welded his part and Phineas' part together.

I huffed. Oh jeez, Isabella. What was that for? Were you trying to-...oh.

That manipulative little kid! She set me up!

I want to be mad at her but I couldn't because I couldn't have asked for a better opportunity.

"Um, Ferb? Can we talk?" I asked.

Ferb pulled off the mask and looked at me.

"Um well you see...I-I think...well um...it's like..." I stuttered as I tried to get my words out.

Ferb watched my flustered face and sighed. He sat next to me and looked at me, patiently.

"Oh um you want me to sit? O-Ok..."

We sat there like two logs. This felt like déjà vu.

"So...haha funny thought. I was wondering this morning, since I'm thirteen, w-wouldn't it be weird...i-if I fell for you or something? Haha, that'd be weird right?" I pushed my hair back and waited for his response. A laugh, a sigh, anything!

Ferb was staring at me. I don't know. He looked like he was mad, confused, and happy all at the same time.

"Ferb? Is something wrong?" He got really close to me where our noses were almost touching and he was staring at me.
"F-Ferb-"
"Do you like me?"

With him this close and that direct question, I could feel my heart pounding.

"Jeez, Ferb! Are you trying to kill me?!" I clutched my chest and tried to slow my breathing.

I need to be sixteen again. I was not acting like myself.

"You're pulling my heartstrings just by being this close to me and then you ask that question? I feel like you're the one trying to kill me." He said.
"I-I'm pulling...your heartstrings?"

He nodded and I let out a squeak.

"Ferb...do you like me?" I asked.
We weren't looking at each other but I knew he was nodding.

"I like you a lot, Vanessa. Even when you were sixteen, I liked you." He confessed.
"Really? I...never noticed."
"Yea..."

Silence.

I felt the need to say something until I felt his hand slip into my mine. I looked at him but he was facing the other way, his pale cheeks were red. I smiled.

"I love you, Vanessa." He muttered.
"I love yo-"

"Hey! We got some ice cream for you guys too! Which one do you want?" Phineas exclaimed as they came back into the yard.

Again, he ruined our moment and again, Ferb and I scrambled away from each other.

"Is it too hot? Your faces are red." Phineas said obliviously. Isabella flicked him and he yelped.

"Oh, Ferb! You finished! Great!" Phineas said and observed the machine, excitedly.

Ferb looked in agony at the machine that he'd accidentally finished.

"Sorry, I tried to stop him." Isabella whispered to me.
"It's fine." I sighed.

"Ok! One teenager coming up!" Phineas said and pointed the ray at me.

Ferb and I's eyes met
[i don't think that's good grammar...eh whatever]
and we looked at each other in panic.

"Ferb!" I shouted as the light engulfed me.
"Vanessa!"