Wentworth's Baron - Chapter Eight - The Circus

CHAPTER EIGHT

The Circus

            After Victoria left, it was not long before the Baron arrived to call on Henrietta.  Henrietta could not help but feel a little uncomfortable in his presence now that she had learned of Victoria’s attachment.  She had Becky join them in the Parlor instead of sitting outside the door.  She wanted to be sure she would not give in to some innocent flirtations with him because there was no mistaking by now the attraction she felt for him.

            The Baron looked at Henrietta and then to Becky as he joined her in the Parlor as if to question the new development.  Henrietta took a seat across from the Baron as she contemplated how she would approach the subject now with her uneasiness caused by Victoria’s revelation. 

            The Baron was the one who ended up breaking the ice on the subject to Henrietta’s relief.  “so tell me my dear, what have you and your friend come up with for our ‘scandal?”

            Henrietta cleared her throat and proceeded to convey their plans for a masked ball to be held at Harlaxton.  They felt it would be better to be held in the country since there would be less of the ton there and they felt it could be contained better.

            The Baron smiled at the attention to detail which he perceived in their concoctions.  “And what pray tell have you come up with that will put us in the compromising position?”

            Henrietta blushed at his insinuation and he continued “no, no, that will not do.  If we are going to pull this off you must not be so...missish.  You must hold yourself as a lady confident in her flirtations.”  Henrietta, a bit defiantly asserted her objections to this statement although she knew it was true that she was acting a bit ‘missish.’  The Baron seemed amused at her shyly asserted comment suggested that possibly they needed to ‘practice.’

            At that the Baron removed himself from the chair across from her and settled himself next to her on the couch.  This act immediately caused her heart palpitations.  He proceeded to place his hand around her small waist which further complicated Henrietta’s raging pulse.  She could feel his fingers softly mingle through the lace of her muslin. 

            Henrietta’s mind was conflicted at this moment between her friend’s declaration of her feelings for this man and her own feelings that she still refused to admit.  She settled the matter in her head with the thought that ‘we’re just practicing and that is all it is.’ 

            The Baron proceeded with their ‘practice session’ moving his other hand tenderly along her cheek and down her neck to her left shoulder as he gently bent his head to take in the sweetness of her mouth with his own.  Instinctively she pressed herself against him as his grip tightened around her waist.

            Becky, whom she had installed as chaperone in the room began to cough and instead of stopping their ‘practice’ Henrietta motioned her maid to leave the room.  The Baron continued his attention to her neck and the back of her ear as if unaffected by the discreet reminder of her maid.

            Henrietta could not believe the sensations that this man was creating inside of her as he parted her lips to partake in the lusciousness of what he could only imagine up until now.  Henrietta melted against him so willingly and without reserve.  He felt his control of the situation weaken and gave her one last kiss on the corner of her mouth and then after a second thought kissed her lower lip once more as he stood up to get a hold of himself.  He turned away from her walking toward the fireplace and said “well, I think we’ve got it down.  We won’t be needing any more ‘practice’ for awhile.”

            Henrietta sat motionless as she tried to compose her own feelings and sensations that were already out of control.  Little did the Baron know that had he not been the one to stop there would have been no resistance on her end.

            After a moment of quiet contemplation by them both, the Baron said “what say we go to the circus.  I believe you have a promise to keep.”  Henrietta, remembering her promise to Wendell, agreed as she stood up to go to her dressing room and change into an evening dress. 

            Henrietta chose a coquelicot evening dress of fine Merina cloth trimmed in chinchilla fur.  She determined to wear her soft cashmere shawl to complete the look.

            The Baron, upon seeing her decent on the inner staircase, was glued to the sight of her elegance.  Such beauty he thought he had never before beheld.  He offered his arm as they proceeded out and down the street toward the beach where the circus was being performed.

            It didn’t take long to see the big top tent in front of them.  Henrietta began to feel the excitement of the circus as they walked in and seeing the acrobats showcasing their talents.  They walked by a cage full of lions and just above were the swing trapeze and over to the left of that was a young lady walking on a tightrope.  Henrietta’s eyes scanned the scene looking for Wendell while admiring the unique talents of these performers.

            The Baron, still recalling their recent encounter in the Parlor, was still admiring the beauty beside him as they walked.  He continued to ponder the mystery of Wendell’s green eyes.  Henrietta, spotting Wendell across the ring, tugged at Baron Raby pulling toward where he was preparing the horses.

            “M’lady, you came” he said.  “Of course, I came.  I promised I would and I must keep my promises you know.  How are you doing now that you have had a chance to recover.”  Wendell responded “oh tis nothin.  I fall all the time.  Don’t be no mind to me.  How d’ya do sir.”  he said directing his attention to the Baron.  The music began and the ring master appeared in the center of the ring “Ladies and Gentlemen!” he began.  “best be gettin t’yer seats the shows a startin” and he was off. 

            The Baron and Henrietta took their seats and were even more amazed at the performance that unfolded before them.  Henrietta was waiting excitedly for when Wendell and his troop would appear and she was not disappointed in the act.  She found herself clapping even louder than the first time she saw this scrawny lad do his ‘tricks’ on his horse.  The troop consisted of six horses, inclusive of two ladies.  They all rode bareback and each had a trick unique to them.  They all would be jumping to one side and then the other as the horses continued to canter around the ring.  Henrietta’s reactions to it endeared her even more to the Baron and he became more determined than ever to find out where this boy came from.