Wentworth's Baron - Chapter Eleven - Sir Lewis Rockingham

CHAPTER ELEVEN

Sir Lewis Rockingham

            After Alexander left, Lord Wentworth sat in his study with eyes fixed on the portrait of his Lovely Arabella.  He missed her so much.  How she would love the beautiful daughter Henrietta had become.  He knew that she would not approve entirely of the tolerance he showed to her but he could do no better than he has done. 

            He thought briefly about the last moment he saw her has she lay there upon their bed.  The midwife warned him that these were her last moments and that there was nothing more to be done.  Childbirth was always very risky and there were not a few women who had given their last breath for the miracle of that precious new life.  Lord Wentworth’s grief was two fold which is not at all known to society. 

            His dear Arabella had given birth to a son who also died on that fateful day.  Tears welled up in my Lord’s eyes as he sat remembering the joy of the impending birth that turned to such great sorrow.  His dear Henrietta was so young at the time.  He had felt it best not to tell her of the event and instead had told her that her mother was very sick and succumbed to her illness.  It was the only way he could cope with the grief.

            As he poured himself a second glass of sherry he thought what he would give to have things be different.  But, such as they were, he sat for a brief moment or two before going to find Henrietta.  The thought of Alexander’s revelation served to raise his spirits once more as he located her in the Parlor.

            “Did Baron Raby leave?”  she asked.  “Yes, he had some matter to discuss with the Marquess or some such thing.” he managed to stammer.  “Henrietta, I have had word from Lord Barrington who intends to have a masquerade ball at his house in Toddington Manor and I mean for you and I to go.  It is high time for you to meet the man you will marry.”  Henrietta heard her father but remained obstinate in her refusal to go anywhere to meet that man until the day of her wedding when she walks down the isle to the alter.  Lord Wentworth continued on in his persuasions but to no avail.  She would book no change of heart.  She was not going!

            Later the same day, Victoria called to take Henrietta for a ride in the park.  The Marquess had secured two mares for the girls to ride at their discretion and Victoria could not wait for a good ride in the park.

            Lord Wentworth decided to go to the Baths to relieve the stress caused by Henrietta’s continued denial to meet her future husband.  What was he going to do.  It may be that they will have to come clean about the Baron’s true identity but he decided to let the Baths clear his head before making such a decision.

            While there, he came across a man of his acquaintance.  The same man responsible for the decline of Wentworth Hall.  In his present state of mind, Sir Lewis Rockingham was the last person he needed to be in company with.  However, Lord Wentworth made the best of it.  In an attempt at conversation, Sir Lewis mentioned that the stocks were up slightly though not enough to hope they would pull him out of his debt.

            At this, Lord Wentworth was moved to announce to him that he expected to make a very handsome marriage settlement within the month and so would manage to pull Wentworth Hall back into the positive as it were.

            Sir Lewis, feigning his approval purred “delightful” with that note of sarcasm that was not apparent to Lord Wentworth at the time.  “A marriage settlement, splendid.  Just in time, you know, because I have been able to use my influence so far to keep the duns away but you know it only goes so far.”  Lord Wentworth sat back with his eyes closed allowing the warmth of the waters to soothe his nerves. 

            Sir Lewis, interrupting his thoughts, asked “so when is this happy event to be announced?”  Lord Wentworth opened his eyes and responded “well, it is my hope to have it become public at a masquerade ball to be held at Toddington Manor.” 

            Sir Lewis thought for a moment “Ah, yes the Earl of Warwick.  I have handled some investments for him from time to time.  She is to marry Alexander I presume?”  To this Lord Wentworth responded “Yes, that’s correct.  You will no doubt receive an invitation if you have not already because all members of the family are to be included no matter how distant the relation.”

            Sir Lewis responded somewhat ironically, “distant, indeed.  Your father and my mother were second cousins, I believe.”  Lord Wentworth feeling the relaxation setting in mumbled a quiet “yes, I do believe that is so.”  It did not occur to Lord Wentworth as it never did in the past that should the Wentworth’s not produce an heir, the estate of Wentworth Hall was entailed to Sir Lewis Rockingham.

            Sir Lewis, however, was not so absent-minded as to forget.  In fact, he has had designs for Wentworth Hall since Henrietta was but a child.  Though he may have appeared to settle back and relax in the waters of the Bath, much more was being contrived during those moments of silence that followed. 

            He recalled all the pains he had gone to these past years to secure his inheritance and he was not about to let that be ruined now.  Didn’t he insure that Wentworth would not have an heir?  Didn’t he diligently work to invest appropriately so as to make the estate appear to be lacking in funds?  All that effort and prospecting was not going to be for naught.  He was determined to see it through. 

            He would have Wentworth Hall.  He would be the rightful heir should there be no descendant from the Wentworth line and surely now that Henrietta was engaged another heir would be possible.  He most certainly will attend the mask and eliminate this threat once and for all.