Chapter 17: Sock on the Doorknob

Warning: We have smut in this chapter for Kayla. Skip over her part if you want- you won't miss out on anything.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The speed was exhilarating, intoxicating, and completely and utterly foolish. I can't really explain the feeling of driving yourself, you just kinda... see. I could sense everything around me. Everything from the birds overhead to the sand in my treads as we drove along the empty desert roads.

Jazz drove comfortably to my left and front as he kept ahead of me easily. Every gust of wind would bring me within inches of running my hood into his side, which I narrowly avoided multiple times. We raced along quickly, every turn giving me more and more confidence in this form.

I was a much better driver now at least, more than my human self would ever be.

"Ya need ta do betta than that ta beat meh, Amy." Jazz taunted

"Oh, you just wait!" I warned. I had no real ability to follow up on my actions and I think he knew it.

I pushed myself a bit faster, making myself even with him as we took up the entire road. He edged in closer to touch my side mirrors with his own, hoping to distract me. My frame shivered at the contact, but I didn't change speed. We took a sharp left and I leaned into the turn as if I was on a motorcycle. The motion came as natural as a turn of the head and my sensors expanded before me.

I wasn't ready to stop racing and I had a feeling he wasn't either.

It was much later in the day when we turned back for the base, the red setting sun at our backs and the sea to our right. I couldn't help but let my senses wander over Jazz's form. The sun cast a wonderful golden red hue on his frame and I admired it pleasantly. Everything was so calm, enjoyable. I finally had a sense of peace now that he was back.

"Like what ya see?" He snickered, effectively breaking me from my daze.

"Always." I stated. Oh how I wanted to touch that frame of his.

My engine gave a roar, well... more of a kitten mewl compared to his engine, and I nudged his side gently before speeding past him. I was about 5 seconds ahead when he started after me again.

I took a turn off the road and into the sand. The unstable ground gave under my wheels and I slowed down considerably with a low grunt.

Jazz followed me without question. He must be in the same state of mind as I am, just wanting to spend time together. Time we should have never lost.

I halted at the beach and took in the sounds, the smell. In this new form I could feel the salt in the air, not just taste it.

I sighed "Such a connection with the world around me. It's slightly... overwhelming."

Jazz transformed next to me and stretched lazily. "Ah can't imagine bein without it."

I watched his back arch as he stretched an arm over his back. I was drawn to the motion and colors, wishing I had my camera. His transformation was so smooth, effortless, like breathing. With renewed vigor I attempted to transform again. I felt my doors part slightly as they started to become arms and my hood fold downwards.

It stopped again.

I groaned in frustration and the pieces fell back into their proper alt mode positions. This was embarrassing... especially in front of Jazz.

He looked to me then, head tilted slightly to the side and a lop sided grin. "Still havin trouble Ah see."

I sat quiet for a moment as I let the frustration pass before I responded "I don't know what I'm doing wrong.. Imagine your true form and poof! Easy, right?"