Chapter 9

"How was school?" Dad asks as he walks through the door. Shrugging, I graze through my fridge and pick out a bottle of water and a bowl of kiwi. "That's all I get?"

"It was terrific dad." I tell him and place a thin slice of kiwi in my mouth. Dad sighs and hangs his coat up.

"We'll I have some great news."

"Yeah? What is it?" I ask, swallowing the fruit slice. Dad smiles at me as he steals a kiwi piece.

"On the way home, I got a call from Willie. He says he wants us to go hunting with him this weekend." He smiles and my eyes widen.

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah!" He holds his hands out, waiting for my reaction. "He says it would be a good time to meet Hunter and Kason too. "

"But Kason is ten and he doesn't pick his feet up in the woods!" I exclaim. Everytime my family went hunting, the deer would run because of Kasons loud steps. Hunter ended up carrying him so Dad and I could shoot the game.

"Well, Hunter can carry him I guess." Dad shrugs. I shake my head.

"That's ridiculous Dad. The boy is ten years old and has to be carried by big brother." I say and he laughs.

"Well, I don't know what else to tell you." He says, grabbing another kiwi.

"Hey, is, uh, John Luke coming with?" I ask him subtly, taking a sip from my water bottle. Dad nods.

"Yeah. He and Cole. Oh and Reed. Sadie has a pageant." He says, waving his hand around. I nod, suppressing a grin. My boyfriend is going hunting with me this weekend. My boyfriend. Ah! "What are you grinning for?" Oops. Guess I didn't suppress a grin too well.

"I'm excited." I state and drag my book bag upstairs. My homework is finished in a total of ten minutes before a knock on the front door distracts me from putting my books back in my bag. I drop the books and take the stairs two at a time, rushing to the front door before Dad can make it. Turning the knob, I bite my lip and then swing the door open wide. Hunter smiles at me and I squeal, jumping into his arms and wrapping my arms around his neck. He laughs and places his hands on my back. It feels like its been forever since I've seen them. I wrap my legs around his waist and hug him tightly as a tear threatens to fall from happiness. He chuckles and I pull away, dropping my feet to the floor. I lean down a little but to greet Kason and he wraps his arms around my waist, laying his hea on my ribs. He pulls back and barrels towards dad. Hunter steps in and I shut the door as he looks around.

"Wow. You surely got everything ready for the new year." He says. I give him a confused look. "It's January first, Kay. Didn't you and dad have a New Year's Eve party?"

"No!" I exclaim with wide eyes. "Oh my! How did I forget! It's my favorite holiday!" Hunter laughs at me and drops his bags to the floor. He leans down, unzipping the bag and pulling out a bottle of sparkling white grape juice. He holds it out to me and I grin, taking it from him.

"Thank you!" I squeal and drag him into the kitchen. I take out two glasses and pour some in each, handing one to Hunter. Relax, if you didn't know, this juice is non alcoholic. We sip our juice quietly and place the dishes in the sink. I put the bottle up and take Kason and Hunter on a tour of the house. When I reach my room, I see my phone lying on my bed with eight new texts and two calls. All from John Luke. Laughing, I pick up my phone and call him back.

"Hello?" John Luke answers.

"Relax, dude! I haven't had my phone with me. No need to blow it up." I tell him and I hear him chuckle on the other end.

"Sorry. My dad just told me about this weekend," he starts and I laugh.

"The hunting trip?" I finish and he laughs also.