Chapter 12

Dedicated to addie_shea! First comment! You guys should really go check out her story! Please! It's called My Redneck Babe! Also check out Gabattack50s stories. She got me a bunch of reads so I owe her that and I love both of their stories. They r unique! Errors are guaranteed because I am writing this and my arms are going to sleep!
&&&&&&&&&

"What about the others?" We can't leave our family and friends here. What's he thinking?
"They know," he holds up his cell phone. "I just texted Sadie. I told her to make sure everyone is occupied. She's got it covered." He assures me and I relax, shutting the truck door and buckling my seat belt. John Luke wraps an arm around my shoulders as he drives. I flip the radio on and sing along to "See You Again" by Carrie Underwood.
After thirty minutes, I get bored.
"When are we gonna be there?" I ask and JL chuckles.
"Soon."
+++++++++
Another ten minutes pass and I get impatient. I shuffle around in my seat and grumble when I can't get comfortable. It's dark outside and the crickets begin to sound. An owl "hoots" in the distance and I sigh, folding my arms. The truck suddenly makes a sharp turn into a gravel path and I sit up straight in my seat, awaiting the hault of the truck. Eventually, JL shuts off the headlights and I am left in complete darkness as he goes a little ways and parks the truck, taking the key out.
"Where are we?" I ask him but he simply opens the door and slides out of the seat. I follow after him and my feet land in soft grass. I cling to my boyfriends arm as he shuts the door and leads us to the back of the truck. He grabs something from the toolbox on the back of the truck and sets it, or them, out along the tailgate and bed of the truck. He drops the tailgate and grabs another thing. A flame flickers and I realize he's holding a lighter. He lights the candles around the truck, illuminating the atmosphere with an intimate feeling. He smiles at me and dashes back to the drivers seat if the truck. He pulls something out and places it on the toolbox. It's a radio.
"I don't want my truck battery going dead because of the radio." John Luke explains as he turns the wireless radio on and I cover my ears as a loud static fills the air. He turns the volume down and changed the station.
"Sorry," he tells me and I smile. Thomas Rhett begins to sing and John Luke takes my hands. He begins to seat and I giggle but follow along. He places his hands on my wisdt and I drop mine to his shoulders, laying my head on his chest. His mouth falls to my ear as he sings the song softly.
"Yea girl, you make me wanna write a song
And it goes like ooh, what I wouldn't do." His smile faintly touches my neck an I shiver. "To write my name on your heart, get you wrapped in my arms baby all around you." He continues and I sigh, closing my eyes as his deep, roc voice soothes me. "And it goes like hey, girl I'm blown away," he pulls away and I look up at him as he says the next words. "Yea it starts with a smile and it ends with an all night long slow kiss," He smiles and places a kiss on my forehead. "Yea it goes like this," he sings and leans down, softly kissing my lips. My eyes flutter closed as he grips my waist tightly. I push my hands through his gorgeous hair and begin to tug on a few strands. He pulls back breathless and smiles. I smile back before he takes my hands and leads me to the back of the truck. I look inside the bed of the truck and gasp. A thick wad of blankets sits in the back, the width of a mattress. A picnic basket sits in the middle with a cooler on the side.
Grinning, I hop up on the tailgate and slide onto the blankets. JL joins me and sits across. He opens the basket an I open the cooler. I almost squeal when I see the root beer in glass bottles. It's my favorite. I spot a tub of ice cream and two crystal glasses in the cooler too.
"Miss Kay packed everything. Except the root beer and ice cream. And it's probably melting." JL tells me and I giggle, pulling all of it out. I skip the meal. Who cares? I set up the root beer floats and had one to John Luke. He pulls two spoons out if the basket and hands me one. "So do you always eat dessert first?" He jokes and I roll my eyes.
"No. But it is the best part." I reply and take a bite of the delicious ice cream and root beer mixture.
After the dessert appetizers, we begin on the packed sandwiches and chips. JL packed four root beers and two lemonade a so were set on drinks. We used two root beers for the dessert, but we still have lemonade and another root beer.
Once we finish the meal, I slide over to the tailgate and swing my legs in a beat to the song playing, which is "Aw Naw" by Chris Young. This song is funny and I love it. I sip my lemonade as I sing along. An arm wraps around my waist and JL scoots close to me, dangling his legs over the edge as we look out at the dark sky and rippling water of the lake. The candles emit enough light to point out our surroundings. John Luke smiles down at me before gently kissing my lips and hopping off of the tailgate. He takes my hands and I jump down, leaving my drink. He picks up a candle, careful not to burn his fingers, and grabs my hand the other as he leads me to an old worn down shed. He opens the creeky doors and slides in, leaving me outside. He pulls out a narrow boat with one hand and I fawn over his strength.
After my fangirl episode, I decide to pitch in and help him slide the boat over to the lake. He picks up a paddle and hands it to me as he gathers the candles and places them around the boat, in the back, on the seats. We carefully slide in too, not touching any candles. John Luke takes the paddle and starts to row us around the beautiful water. The candles shine and flicker across John Lukes face and I sigh. How did I get this lucky?
"What are you thinking about?" John Luke asks me as he sets the paddle down so we just float. I shake my head.
"Why your into me." I state and he raises his eyebrows. "I mean look at you. Your amazing. Your smart and handsome and funny and you have a great taste in music. And your kind and caring and gentle and compassionate. I'm just plain ol Jane. I am not hot like other girls. I am Clumsy and different and crazy. I'm nuts. Nothing goes right with me. " I ramble on and on until he interuots.
"Kaysie. You are crazy." He nods and my face falls. "You aren't hot, you're beautiful. You aren't normal. Your a crazy go getter. Your nuts! Kay! A real nutcase! But your my nutcase. Your anything but normal. As I love that. I love that your different and careless. Your funny, and beautiful and intelligent. Your perfect for me." He smiles and I giggle, leaning forward at the same time as he does. He kisses me gently and I wrap my arms around his neck. He grabs my waist and pulls me closer. My knees drop to the bottom of the boat and I slide closer to him, causing all of the weight to be on that side of the boat. We wobble around and the boat eventually flips. John Luke and I manage to dodge the flames of the candles but we don't dodge the water. We fall in and the water chills me to the bone. I swi to the too and rub my face. John Luke appears above water next to me and he grins.
"Sorry." He says and I hit his arm, swimming to the dock an climbing up. I watch as John Luke retrieves the boat and slides easily through the water as if it isn't three hundred degrees below Fahrenheit. He drags the boat to the shed and pushes it through the doors. I stand from the dock and walk to him, shivering. It is still winter for Pete's sake! John Luke wraps me in his arms for a few minutes before we hip on the tailgate. My boyfriend drapes one of the blankets from our picnic mat across my shoulder and I cuddle up to him with it. He wraps his arms around me and drags me into the bed of the truck. We lie down and listen to Brad Paisleys "Beat This Summer" as we stare at the sky. There are a million twinkling stars above us and I watch intently as they sit still. One slides across the sky and I point to it.
"JL! It's a shooting star!" I exclaim and he laughs.
"Make a wish." He replies and I think. What do I wish for? I have an amazing family, awesome friends, and the best boyfriend in the world. What do I have to wish for?
"Nah. I already have everything I want." I say softly before laying my head on John Lukes chest and closing my eyes. He kisses the crown of my head and plays with my hair as we lay, breathing and listening. It's calm and peaceful. We talk about our likes and dislikes, our past life's. I eventually tell him about my ex boyfriend, the one that the fortune teller talked about.
"His name was Jackson. He and I dated for two years, from age thirteen to fifteen. We ended it when he tried to get me to have sex with him. He attempted..." I can't even say the r word.
"I know what your saying," JL says.
"But Hunter came in. My parents of course weren't there. My sister wasn't around. She was alive then though. My brother tackled Jackson and...we pressed charges. It was ugly." I sigh.
"I'm so sorry you went through that. And I promise never to do that. Okay? I'll do what you want when you want." John Luke tells me and I smile, propping my chin on his chest to look up at him as he looks down at me.
"Thank you." I say and he nods, leaning up to kiss me deeply. "We should probably go though. We've been here for a while. I don't know how long Sadie can stall the boys."
"Yeah. I don't want to go though." JL says and I laugh, agreeing. It's so peaceful out here. No school or homework or peeping brothers or gossiping teenagers.
"Me either." I pour and he taps my nose with his finger.
"Your cute when you pout." He says. "Well, your always cute. I mean, just now you look even extra cute. Not that you could be any less cute-"
I can practically hear Coles voice saying "you should've just left it John Luke."
"Cole?" John Luke stops hai rambling to look ahead of us. A big black SUV begins pulling up next to us. Cole hangs out the window, shaking his head.
"You should've just left it dude," he mutters and I laugh. Creepy. Daisy rolls the drivers window down and waves at us.
"I decided to drive them home but your brothers were getting jumpy. Hunter demanded to know where you were so I brought then. Sorry if I ruined your date!" Daisy exclaims with her hands up. I laugh at her innocent light brown hair and tan face.
"It's alright. We were about to leave anyway." I tell her and she sighs. I slide down from the truck and send Cole a glare for appearing and saying his one catch phrase before sliding into JLs truck. Hunter yells at me from inside the car and I wave and show a thumbs up. John Luek jumps in the truck and Daisy backs out. We follow and begin on the main road.
************
"I had fun tonight, Baby." JL says as he walks me to the door. I nod and roll my eyes at my dad who is sitting on the porch with his pocket knife collection next to him an four shotguns sitting on the porch railing. He picks one up and pretends to clean it, but I know it's only there as a warning to John Luke. I turn back to my boyfriend and kiss him fully on the lips. I head footsteps behind me and I giggle against John Lukes mouth before pulling away and shoving my dad back.
"I had fun too," I say to my boyfriend and hug him. He hugs me back confidently, despite the watchful eyes of my father. He pulls away an smiles down at me before closing his eyes and kissing my forehead.
"Ill see you tomorrow bright and early for school." He tells me and I nod before he turns to my dad. "Thank you sir, for letting me take your daughter out." He holds his hand out. Dad analyzes for a moment before grabbing John Lukes hand and shaking it firmly. If John Luke wasn't so strong, his hand would be broken now.
"Thank you for being on time." Dad says before releasing John Luke. My boyfriend smiles once more at us before walking to his truck and hopping in. He waves and pulls out of our driveway. I roll my eyes at dad once more before walking in the house. Hunter adn Kason sit at the counter, playing the Oreo cookie game we made up. It's like this:
Hunter picks up an Oreo. Kason picks up an Oreo. They dip it in milk at the same time. Whoever can keep their Oreo in the milk the longest without the cookie falling apart before it reaches their mouth, wins. They do this through like ten Oreos. I made it up so I am champion at it.
I pick up two Oreos and fix a glass of milk, joining the game.
"How was your date?" Hunter asks and I smile.
"Amazing. Yours?"
"What?" He asks and I grin.
"How was your date? With Sadie?" I say in a duh tone. His face pinks. "Ha! I knew it. You like Sadie Robertson!"
"I do not." He exclaims and Iaugh as I see his face turn red and his cookie snap in half. Kason chuckles and holds tight to his cookie.
"Yeah you do. Your blushing." Kason points out and Hunter glares at him. Kason blushes and his cookie breaks. I grin triumphal and carefully pull m soggy cookie out if the milk and dropping it in my mouth. It disolves right on my tongue.
"Whatever." Hunter says abruptly before standing and beginning to walk up the stairs.
"Ah ah ah!" I snap. "I ain't your maid. Get down here and clean your mess." I tell him. He grumbles but washes his milk glass and drying it before putting it up. He throws his napkin away and grabs a bottled water from the fridge an escaping to his guest room. Dad comes in later and I give him small details of what John Luke and I did in our date.
"He seems like a good kid, Kay." Dad says honestly and I smile, dropping my cup in the sink an grabbing a sponge.
"He is." I nod, picking up Kasons glass and washing it, along with mine. Kason puts the cookies up and throws the napkins away before sliding up to his room.
"Alright. Goodnight sweetie. In glad you found some friends." Dad kisses my head before turning and walking to the boys room. I finish the few dishes and carry my phone and water up to my room. Dad comes out of the boys room and passes me down the stairs. I stop by to say goodnight to my brothers an head to the bathroom. I shower, brush my teeth, and change into Pjs. Then, I slide into my comfy bed and smile as I dream about a lake and the stars.