Chapter 13

Chapter 13

                I didn’t know what happened in the train; all I know now, was that Jesse and I were headed up a flight of stairs inside an apartment building. He didn’t say much, all he did was walk behind me, occasionally announcing “left” or “right”.

                Holding on to the railings I began to grow worried. Where was he taking me? But then my fears were interrupted when finally Jesse gestured for me to stop as he stepped in front.

                Secretly I said a prayer, only to feel a sense of judgment or disdain within me.

                “Nana,” Jesse called out as he turned the knob. “I brought a friend!”

                Carefully I stepped into the door. A whiff of coffee and what I assumed was some kind of pain cream filled the air. I gingerly smiled when I spotted an elderly lady peak from behind a wall to our left. Her hair was short and pixie like, and her eyes were as bright as Jesse’s.

                “Well hello!” She cheered as she fully entered the corridor.

                Again I smiled

                “My name is Genevieve but, call me Jenny.” She greeted as she wiped her hand on a tea towel before extending it towards me.

                I shook her head as Jesse began to tilt his head to the right, gesturing for her to follow.

                He cleared his throat. “We’ll be back, um washroom is over down that hall, and living room is down over here.”

                Nodding my head I made my way towards the living room. There I sat on an arm chair closest to the window, and placed my bag down.  My mind was beginning to ease from the state it was in out in the hall. But don’t get me wrong, I was still scared shitless with what happened earlier. There was nothing in my mind; no idea or suggestion that would lead me closer to finding hell. If this, being on my own wasn’t it already.

                I heard a muffled conversation down the small hall as I felt myself slowly drifting off. My eyes grew heavy but my head was still awake. Before I knew it I was gone.

                “Lucia...” My mother called out to me.

                Opening my mouth I tried to scream, yet nothing came out.

                “Help me...”

                I’m trying mama, I’m trying!

                “Hurry...please!”

                I’m trying!!!

                “Lucia?”

                Yes I’m right here...

                “Lucia?”

                Mom...

                “Why did you do this to me? Why didn’t you just go with him?”

                Slowly I felt my eyes sting, as my throat closed.

                “Why...?”

                “MOM!” I called out, only to realize I was back in the arm chair. Opening my eyes I looked out into the room. Jesse had stepped out from the room along with his grandmother. Their eyes were wide. But I shook my head as I wiped my hair back away from my face.

                “Lucia is it?” Jenny asked taking a step closer.

                I nodded.

                “Look, Jesse has told me that you have quite a problem in your hands.”

                I moved my eyes to the floor.

                “Sweetie,” She gently said. “If everyone thinks it’s cool...”

                Drugs! She thought I was on drugs!!

                “Nana,” Jesse mumbled from behind her.

                “No no, Jesse, this also involves you...let me just speak. Now, I understand that you well...hear something....but rest assure...”

                I shook my head.

                “Lucia, it’s nothing you should be silent about.”

                Again I shook my head. “You don’t understand, if Jesse told you what I assumed is an explanation to what has just happened to me...then yes all of it is true. And no I am not on drugs, or depressed, or sick.”

                She pressed her lips together. “But you don’t really think that your mother’s in hell do you?”

                Her eyes were sceptical, worried, concerned but still sceptical. “Yes, I do think, no I know she is...”

                A small laugh escaped her. “You just can’t...DIE!”

                “But you can...” I whispered through my teeth.

                Jesse chocked on his breath as his grandmother took a step back. “Excuse me?” She gasped.

                I bit my lower lip, as I felt my eyes widen. “Sorry...I didn’t...”

                She came towards me closer as I stumbled on my words, but I didn’t give her a chance to say or do anything for I had already fled out the apartment and into the halls.