Chapter 34

Chapter 34

                My head was on fire, my eyes were tearing up, and my breath was speeding. I was in panic; all that filled my sight was the red stained palm of Jesse’s hand. I didn’t know what to do...

                Jesse began to hack, his eyes pressed tightly with pain. I reached over trying unsuccessfully to sooth the coughing. I felt so useless, my hand rubbing his back, my voice murmuring stupid ‘consoling’ words. It was this room; I knew it was...it had to be! Quickly I wrapped my arm around Jesse’s waist and hobbled over to the closest door I saw. By the time we reach a small bakery, I firmly gripped the door handle, and prayed that it would lead us back to the hall, the way Lucifer did with the other rooms.

                I harshly opened the door, only to find the bakery in front of me. I spat a curse as I quickly dragged Jesse towards the back of the counter. There behind the display of breads and cakes I found another door. I didn’t know what was behind it...a kitchen maybe? But I couldn’t waste time figuring it out; I only had to hope it would open, revealing the hallways.

                And to the honesty of me, I had never thought that I would be relieved to walk into the halls of hell.

                I swiftly turned to Jesse. “Are you okay?” I panted.

                He shook his head.

                Taking a deep breath I tightened my grip around him and moved us further down the hall. “Lucifer!!” I yelled.

                I heard nothing but the echo of my voice.

                “Neil!!”

                Thankfully a rush of footsteps came around the corner. I lifted my eyes up to see Neil, his eyes dodging straight to Jesse. “What on earth...”

                I shook my head, unable to explain. With a swift motion Neil picked Jesse up. I watched with dread as he continued to cough as Neil took him away. “Find Lucifer...” Neil mumbled before turning the corner.

                I needed to scream...or cry, curse, punch a wall...something! Frustration took over me, I had nothing to blame but that retched man!! He brought me here! He took my mother here! He was the one causing Jesse pain!!

                With anger I sprinted towards his offices. My lungs were burning by the time I pounded my fist against the door. Slowly they opened revealing a smiling man.

                “What did you do?!” I screamed.

                Lucifer gazed down at me, his eyes gleaming as if talking to a child in a tantrum. “Lucia...”

                “What did you do!!!!?”

                “Please, please child,” He reached for my shoulder, “Sit down, calm down...”

                “No!! Tell me what you did to Jesse! Tell me where my mother is!!”

                He pressed his lips together as he turned around.

                “Don’t turn away from me! Tell me where she is!!!”

                “Lucia...”

                “No shut up, just shut up!!” I could feel tears forming behind my eyes, but I couldn’t cry...not like this.

                “Please just calm down, child.”

                I scoffed. “Calm down?! Lucifer! Tell me where my mother is!!!”

                Within a second I could feel tension in the room. And not the feeling that happens during an argument...no I mean, the room felt as if it was going to crush me. Lucifer’s eyes burned through me, his stare was threatening as he took a step closer.

                “Tell me,” I sternly huffed. “Where she is...”

                He laughed a strong laugh that sent millions of voices to echo. “Do you know what I did Lucia?”

                I stayed silent.

                “...Do you know what I did to you? And what I did to Jesse?”

                When his face was hovering over mine I took a step back, my hands grasping the edge of my white shirt.

                “Do you want to know?”

                He didn’t wait for an answer though; instead he stared down at me. His eyes smiled as I felt the rush of wind from the doors closing behind me.

                “I left the room the way it was...I never changed a thing...”

                My eyes shifted to the ground...what was he saying?

                “I changed the setting, I made it exactly the way you wanted it to be...but that’s the thing, because it was all you two ever wanted...it was in turn everything you ever feared...”

                “I don’t...understand.”

                He shook his head. “You know you really are quite stupid. What did you see Lucia? What did Jesse see?”

                He was alone, he was scared...he thought I left him deserted him! He was afraid of being in solitude. I already knew his fear; I had seen it on his file. But I didn’t understand... I didn’t see mine...

                “What did you see?”

                I shook my head. “I saw...me...”

                He smiled as the images of the blond lady’s face shifting into mine came to me. I saw her dreadful smile...the same smile that the girl in the dress gave me. They were all me...I remember. I shook my head. It didn’t make sense, I was afraid of so many other things!

                “It’s horrifying isn’t it...to see that,” Lucifer laughed. “To see your fears come to life, just to see exactly the things your fears can do to you!”

                I swallowed a terror in my throat. Lucifer was right, no he was more than right...he knew all along. Sure I was scared of countless things. I was horrified when I realized my mother was gone, I was scared shitless when I thought I was alone, and I am definitely afraid now. But suddenly I could see what I couldn’t before; I now knew what Lucifer had known all along. I was petrified by all the things I had done, I was terrified of what I was capable of doing, and I was mortified by all the possible things I could do to people...My biggest fear, was myself.