Chapter 19

Chapter 19

                "Lucia..." A whisper suddenly took hold of me. But I didn't know who it was. "Lucia, can you hear me?"

                Yes I could hear you!

                "If you can hear me, I want you to blink. Or move your hand okay?"

                Blink or move my hand?! What was I two?

                "Lucia...We really need to know if you can hear us..."

                We? Us?

                Suddenly a flash of light blinded my right eye. It came in as quickly as it had left. Then there it was again, only this time in my left eye.

                "Lucia..."

                Just twitch. Move. SOMETHING!!

                "We have movement in her left hand!" The voice frantically but hopefully called out.

                Who was she?

                "Doctor, she's waking up!"

                Doctor?! Yes, I was right I knew exactly where I was.

                Gingerly I opened my eyes. There in front of me was a man, who looked as old as fifty, dressed in scrubs underneath a white lab coat. Beside him was a woman, her smile was plastered so wide, as she reached over to touch my hand. "You're in the Children's Hospital right now." The nurse spoke

                I tried to talk, but the man shook his head as he said. "You have a breathing tube in your throat right now alright? You can't talk just yet."

                Slowly I nodded as I looked around the small room. There was nothing there but the bed I was laying on, a night stand and what I assumed was a small table behind them. Suddenly the man's eyes grew large. "Oh sorry, were you looking for him?"

                He then took a step aside revealing a sleeping boy on the small arm chair behind him. I couldn't help but smile. Only instead of fully smiling, the corner of my mouth twitched because of the tube.

                "Here let me remove this." The woman whispered as she took a step towards me reaching for the cylinder in my mouth.

                The removal was awkward, droll was beginning to drop as they pulled the equipment off me, and my throat was only starting to regain feeling. But with a smile, the woman took a towel that was lying on the night stand and handed it to me. Wiping my face I watched her leave, leaving the doctor and a sleeping teenager alone with me.

                "Do you know what happened?" He asked as his eyes looked into mine.

                I cleared my throat as I shook my head.

                He pressed his lips together. "Do you remember anything?"

                I shut my eyes as a sudden rush of images flashed through my head. My mother was gone I threw an elderly woman into the hands of death, and the devil wants me. I shook my head.

                "Anything at all?"

                Again I shook my head.

                I stayed silent as the doctor shifted his weight, his face beginning to grow a little impatient.

                "Lucia, you had some blood on your shirt, and your face," His eyes carefully fell on Jesse. "Are you sure nothing happened?"

                I silently laughed on the inside. Jesse an abusive boyfriend?! Abusive: no, boyfriend: no!

                He took a deep sigh. "If there is anything that you need to tell me, please do okay? You won't get into trouble. Trust me."

                Highly doubt I could tell him anything. For one he wouldn't believe it, and for another I would get into trouble. So would he, and even if I did tell him and he did believe me, no pun intended, but yes all hell would break loose.

                With one last glance he left the room.

                I stared at Jesse, his head placed on his hand as it rested on the table beside him. I noticed that his shirt too had a small stain of red. What had happened? Suddenly he moaned as he lifted his head. His eyes slowly met mine as his frowning face grew to a sleepy smile. "Do you want me to leave?" He said while getting reading to stand

                I shook my head, as he began to sit back down. I didn't want him to, not just leave the room, but to leave at all. I was too scared to be alone.

                His eyes stayed on mine for a few more moments until the doctor came back. The man's face was grim. "We have tried calling your parents," He spoke looking at both Jesse and I. "Neither of your homes are answering the phone."

                Jesse and I stayed silent.

                "Is the number in the phone book, and your emergency records correct?"

                "Um," Jesse began to mumble. "Her mother is out of town."

                The doctor's eyebrow arched. "And what about you, young man?"

                "My grandmother is probably dead asleep right now from her sleeping pills."

                I spotted Jesse wince at the term "dead asleep". But I nodded at the doctor anyways.

                He shook of his head, as a hint of regret or even worry came through in his voice. "If I can't get a hold of either of your parents, I will have to call the police..."

                With that he left the room, leaving Jesse and I staring at each other, with worried expression in our eyes.