Chapter 5-My New Things

I woke up and he was gone.  I sighed.  I really didn't expect him to stay.  I sat up and rubbed my eyes.  It was 10:30 in the morning.  

I walked into my closet and picked out a pair of skinny jeans and a Coca-Cola tee-shirt.  Mary had told me yesterday that I should wear jeans today, she wouldn't tell me why.  I hope it's something good...

Throwing my dirty things into the laundry basket, I pulled on my clothes.  I looked in the full-length mirror at the end of the closet.  I looked good, well, as good as you can look dressed in skinny jeans and a tee-shirt.

As I was heading towards my bathroom, Alex suddenly walked out of it, toothbrush and toothpaste in hand.

"Oh, um, sorry about that, I, um, went back to my room to get the stuff and, uh, decided to brush my teeth in here...," he stammered, shifting from foot to foot.

I couldn't hold it in a minute longer.

I burst out laughing.  

He looked at me like I was psycho.  

I stopped laughing and said,"That's fine!  It's better compared to some of the stuff I've experienced.  Do whatever you want, it is your - I mean - our house after all."

He cocked his head at me, as if trying to read my mind.  And then he smiled.  

"Ok then, I'll let you use the bathroom," he said, stepping out of my way.

Once I was in the bathroom I brushed my teeth and hair, and applied my morning acne treatment.  Don't wanna break out in front of all these hot boys...

Straightening my shirt, I walked out of the bathroom.  Alex was still there, smirking.  Uh oh...

"Ok, time for your first surprise.  Put this on and follow me," he said, holding out a blindfold.

I hesitated.  Was he trying to trick me?  I glanced into his sincere green eyes and decided that no, he wasn't.  Complying, I put the blindfold on.  Alex grasped my hand.  

"Alright, follow me," he said.

I followed him down through the house, out the front door, and into a car.  We drove along a winding road, I could tell because the wind wasn't whipping my hair as fiercely as if we were on the freeway.  Finally we stopped.

"We're here," he whispered into my ear.  

I took my blindfold off.  And gasped.

We were standing in front of the humane society.  Or, in less animal-friendly terms, the pound.

"Wha - ?" I asked.

"Every family member has two groups of pets.  A group of dogs and cats, cats and cats, etcetera etcetera...," he said, smiling.

Me, my own TWO PETS?!  I mean, I've had pets before, or, I've babysitted pets before.  I couldn't BELIEVE this!  Their parents must be seriously rich.

"Um...I guess I'll get a dog and a cat," I said.  

He smiled and led me inside.  He stopped in front of the desk and smiled at the receptionist.

"Hi, we're here to adopt a cat and a dog today," he said, smiling back at me.  

"Alrighty then, right this way," she said, leading us towards a pair of double-doors.

We walked through and I sighed sadly.  There were rows and rows of cages, stacked up 5 high.  In them were cats, cats, and more cats.  

"Pick a group," the receptionist said, smiling.