30. Peyton - 9: The Big Change

“Are you even listening?”

“Wha-?” I lifted my head from the chair in Eros’s office. He was glaring at me from behind his desk and a pile of paperwork. I blinked a few times and stretched.

“Were you sleeping?”

Through a yawn, I answered, “No.”

Eros gave me a look showing how he thought otherwise. “Why are you so tired?”

“I don’t know,” I snapped. “I’m working a lot. I’ve got a lot of traveling to do every day. Psyche is on me about a wedding. I just want to sleep. Why is everyone on my case?”

“O-kay,” Eros said gently. “Someone is a bit touchy today.”

“I’m tired,” I replied. “Forgive me. You were going on about a cliché case. Best friends forever and one finally caved and the other is unaware. Just give one a push in the right direction and case closed. Easy stuff.” I leaned my head back in the chair and got comfortable again. The view behind my eyelids was a quite appealing in that moment.

“Alright, fine. Then we can be done for the day.”

My attention shot over to him immediately. Was he serious? It had been a long day, and I had a hot fiancé and mattress calling my name back at home.

“I am so out of here,” I mumbled standing quickly. A dizzy spell hit me and I was forced to sit back down clutching my head.

“Are you alright?” Eros asked coming over to check. I waved him away.

“Just tired as you know…”

“Maybe we should get you checked out.”

“What happened?” Psyche sweet voice called. She appeared in the doorway of the office as if sensing our conversation.

“Eros just let me go, and I want to leave. Nothing happened. I’m tired, that’s all.”

“I’m not convinced,” Eros muttered. Psyche hurried over to inspect my face. She felt my forehead and my cheeks.

“She looks alright.”

“I’m fine,” I bit out, standing again. I felt a small wave of dizziness but push passed it to my destination out the door. There was nothing I wanted more than to be home in that moment. A nice cuddle into my sheets and Nate was all I wanted in that moment. About a foot away from the front door, I could practically smell the fresh air when a knock came from it. I groaned and Psyche rushed from behind me to answer it.

We were greeted with an unusual sight of Zeus’s wife standing in our doorway. I frowned at her presence though perhaps Eros wanted something with her.

She smiled down at Psyche with her green eyes twinkling.

“To what do we owe the honor, Hera?”

“I’ve heard the great news!” she announced welcoming herself into the Cupid manor. Eros came out of his office to greet the visitor. He seemed just as surprised as I was at her appearance. We all moved into the living room as Hera made herself comfortable on one of the pink sofas.

“What news?” Psyche asked gently.

“The new arrival! It is my duty to be aware of it you know.”

The three of us stood dumbfounded at her. Hera brushed some of her sandy blonde hair away from her face back into her bun.

“You don’t mean-” Eros began. “But how?”

“Oh, I don’t need to tell you that, now do I?” Hera asked with a knowing smile. My eyebrows furrowed at the conversation.

Psyche’s face suddenly lit up. “My goodness! It’s finally happening then? But it’s so soon?”