19. Eros - 1: Let's Bash This Party (CGD)

“I hate these damn dress codes,” I muttered fumbling with my white tie that matched my completely white suit. Psyche walked over with a knowing smirk and pushed my hands aside. She undid all of my previous work and began from the beginning.

“That is not why you are stressing yourself so much,” Psyche replied easily knotting the tie the correct why.

I sighed a she finished. “What if everything goes wrong?”

Psyche gave me an unbelievable look and leaned up to gently kiss my cheek.

“You’re doing it again,” she warned walking over to the vanity mirror in our bedroom.

I sat down on the edge of our bed in a sort of daze and sighed once again. “I can’t help it. You’re not worried in the least bit?”

Psyche had been unnecessarily applying make-up to her face when she met my eyes through the mirror. Now even she looked saddened at the thought of what could happen.

“You suggested inviting her,” she whispered. “You know their past together.”

I avoided her stare to inspect the incredibly white formal shoes I was wearing. “I’ll be fine. Things always work out in the end.”

“What if she ends up hurt?”

“Hedone will be perfectly fine.”

Psyche shook her head and moved from the vanity mirror to sit down next to me. Her brown eyes softened as she spoke and she took my hand for reassurance.

“I love our daughter with all my heart,” she began quietly. “But my care for her feelings stopped the day she broke that little girl’s heart. Hedone knows what she does and continues to do so anyway. I cannot stand idly by while she continues to hate her own daughter!”

“I know,” I agreed placing my free hand on top of hers. “But I’m afraid we have to this time.”

Psyche glanced down at our hands now seemingly unable to meet my eyes. “This whole case could’ve done without all of this heartbreak.”

I let go of her hands to wrap my arms around her. She rested her head on my shoulder naturally and we just sat for a minute or two. Finally I kissed her temple and said, “I don’t think it could’ve.”

“We should get going,” Psyche began eagerly hoping up from the bed. “We need to go and assess the damage.”

I checked the clock that was near the bed and furrowed my eyebrows. “Surely they haven’t even arrived yet.”

Psyche gave me a knowing look. “I’m not worried about their arrival. There is only one person in particular who we should be waiting for.”

“It’s been a few years,” I commented. “You do promise that you will be polite.”

“She’s my daughter,” Psyche replied. “It will not be me who has to make that promise.”

o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

We arrived somewhat early for two usually fashionably late gods. Neither Hedone nor Peyton and Nathaniel had arrived yet. We mingled into the crowd greeting old friends and people of power all politely.

I was having a decent chat with Hermes on some new mailing system or another when Psyche pulled at my arm almost causing me to spill the glass in my hand.

“She’s here,” Psyche whispered with her eyes glued to the entrance.

I excused myself from my conversation and allowed myself to be pulled through the crowd.