24. What If (CGD)

This is a special edition chapter titled “What If”. In this chapter, we travel into a parallel universe where something from our original story was changed. I now present to you all:

What if Eros had never played his game on Peyton? What if he had simply told her about her soul mate?

Well… read on and find out:

________________________________________________________

Peyton’s Point of View:

Eros walked up the steps to his home and knocked once before entering. I followed behind him and he announced our arrival.

"Has Peyton come with you?" I heard a sweet female voice call out.

"Yes dear," Eros assured shrugging off his coat and hanging it up. Suddenly a woman appeared in the hallway and looked at me with bright green eyes. She had the same deep red hair that I had and looked about the age of Eros.

"Oh Peyton!" She said engulfing me in a hug. "We've missed you! You stay away far too long."

"Sorry Grandma," I apologized as we broke apart. Unlike Eros, Psyche liked her title of 'grandma' no matter what age she appeared to be.

"Shall we take Peyton into the living room?" Eros suggested. Psyche nodded and led me into the living room which was brightly decorated in all different shades of pink and red.

I sat down on one of the plush loveseats and Psyche and Eros took a seat together in another.

"Does everything in your house have to be Valentine themed?" I asked as I moved aside the many heart pillows.

"It is my holiday," Eros bragged and I rolled my eyes.

"Your grandfather has an announcement," Psyche stated excitedly.

"What is it Grandpa Eros?" I teased.

He gave me a little glare before he stood. “I followed you on your job today and brought you here to tell you one simple thing. It’s time.”

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. “Time for what?”

Psyche smiled brightly. “It’s your time.”

I looked between the two of them wondering if they were on drugs or knew they were speaking gibberish. Then it hit me. It’s my time…

“My soul mate?” I asked quietly as my heart fluttered in my chest. Was it really going to be that simple? Eros would just point me in his direction and I would be free to go?

Eros and Psyche nodded enthusiastically. I was unsure how I felt… a little excited and yet unsteady and unsure.

“Who is he?” I wondered.

Eros held up a finger before he left the room for a few moments and returned with a file in his hands. He wasted no time in handing it to me. Sitting up straighter in my seat, I hurriedly opened the folder to scan the contents.

“Nathaniel,” I muttered to myself holding the picture in my hands. He had dark hair and crystal blue eyes that stuck out even in the photograph. He certainly was a looker but he couldn’t possibly be for me.

“He’s mine?” I asked looking up at Eros.

He nodded. “He’s finally ready for you to meet him.”

I glanced back at his picture. What did I do now? I had certainly never been prepared for this. “How do I meet him? Do I tell him he’s my soul mate? Will he know that? Will he even like me right away? What am I supposed to do?”