Chapter Seventeen: Now Announcing...Broken Roads!

Chapter Seventeen:

The actual ceremony went faster than the practice runs. When my name was called and I walked across that stage to get my diploma, I felt free.

Once it was over I joined in with everyone else, tossing my hat into the air joyfully. Once we began to depart to see our families, Mr. Ricks the principal came back onto the stage. “Students, I have a special surprise for you. Broken Roads is here to give Culver City High a special performance, so please give them your attention.”

Oh. My. God. This can’t be happening. Why is Cayden here? I was freaking out and felt faint. Cayden and the rest of the band strutted out onto the stage taking their places.

“Hello everyone, we thought we should come out and give you guys a little congratulations concert for graduating this afternoon.” Cayden’s melodic voice rang out across the stadium.

Girls started cheering and shouting, “You’re gorgeous!” and “Marry me Cayden!”

“I’d also like to dedicate this concert to a special someone, you know who you are,” Cayden winked as he began to strum on his guitar.

This is not real, this is not real. I was chanting in my head just as I felt a hand on my shoulder. Turning to see Bradin I gave him a small smile. He returned it with a tight smile of his own. He was seething with anger. “This dude sure knows how to complicate things doesn’t he?”

You’ve got that right. We stood together in silence as the band played a few of their hit songs. After the third one they wrapped things up and wished everyone a good night and everyone but Cayden left the stage. He stood there searching for me in the crowd. Once he spotted me he grinned and jumped off the stage.

Oh please don’t come over here. I’m not ready to do this. This is not where I pictured our talk to be.

I can’t believe he thinks that singing at my graduation would prove he cares. How typical is that? It’s just like that one movie I watched last night, I don’t remember what it was but it was so cliché and he should know it wouldn’t work on me. I hate boy bands with a passion. Don’t ask me why, but they annoy the crap outta me.

I looked over to say something to Bradin and I noticed he was gone. When did he leave…Why did he leave? For some reason the thought of him leaving me made my heart drop. Is he that mad that Cayden is here?

I don’t like Cayden! I like him…After I talk to Cayden I have to go find him and tell him that. I need him to know that it’s him not Cayden that I love. Wait did I just say love?

Oh man…I think I’ve fallen in love with Bradin…

Cayden came strutting over, mic still in hand. He had a cocky grin on his face and as he stood in front of me his grin widened, “So what did you think?”

What do I think? Oh I’ll tell you what I think alright.

Placing a hand on my hip I jabbed my finger into his chest, “You think coming here singing to me is magically going to change my mind about how much you care for me? That is so typical and no, I don’t think it shows me how much you care. I’m not that type of girl Cayden; I don’t go for pretty little hotshot superstars singing to me. It don’t mean a thing to me, you know I hate boy bands.”

Behind him Taylor sniggered, “I told you so.”

Cayden spun around and shot daggers at his band mate, “Go away.” He spun back around to face me, “What I just did would make any girl fall in love with me. What kind of girl wouldn’t want someone famous to sing to them in front of hundreds of people?”