Chapter 45 : The End

**Third Person**

Funerals were never Alexander Parker's thing.

But then the day arrived and he found himself in a dark jacket and cords, preparing to leave in a black car and as he stepped out he was surrounded by people he never met.

To enter the cemetery he had to skirt around a pile of brown frosted leaves, the innumerable flashing fragments shone brilliant wintry light. For today there was no weather; no wind nor clouds just the frostbitten temperature like the hearts of many gathered here today.

Ahead the path glistened like silvery quartz yet ice crystals on hard ground was all it was in reality.

Alex tilted his chin up as he gazed around him, stuffing his gloved clothed hand in his pockets.

It was as clear as ice that all the beauty over everything here had died.

He took his grief and balled it up so tight none could escape.

The zombie family stepped out a line of limousines, every eye dried.

Before he knew it the wintry winds invaded his lungs and stung his eyes. He adjusted the dark shades on his face grateful that he had worn them.

The funeral was all black clothes and white, waxy faces that held red puffy eyes, a sign of earlier crying.

Everything was grey and foggy as were his emotions and cold, damp with silent air.

We all progressed over to the burial ground and Alex watched as the preacher spoke melancholy and the hymnals were truncated just after a few lines.

He stood beside my family members and their faces weren't the only ashen with grief. 

Tears flowed steadily down the faces of many as they made an attempt to hold them back but continuously failing to do so. They traveled slowly downwards immobile faces, felt crumpled on the inside, numbness, emptiness, journeying in front of the dark mahogany coffin to say farewell even though she was gone already. Their souls were unwilling to accept the reality of her being gone; the finality of death. That they would never look upon her face or feel the warmth of her embrace ever again.

Alex's face turned to the side on its own accord when the family of the one being sent away tossed their flowers into the hole that had been dug into the ground.

He couldn't help the thoughts that flooded him that this was a part of his doing. He hadn't been blamed this time around by the family for taking a life but a whole new tidal wave of despair washed over him leaving him with a hole in his heart that was familiar to him when Olive Bradshaw had passed away.

The thoughts seemed to be hitting him from every angle and his face contorted into an expression of pain as if the blows had been delivered to him physically.

And just as they reached the highest peak of cruelty and morbidity he felt a small hand slip through his.

He looked around quickly and just like that all the thoughts dissipated. And that was because of one person.

She stood there looking exquisite as ever in a full black, knee length dress. Her face lacked its usual color but her cheeks were flushed by the cold weather and nose an adorable red shade reminding him of Rudolph the red nosed reindeer. Her long, blonde hair had been shielded from snowflakes with a broad black hat that made her look mature for some reason but then he realized that she was. He would be headed off to the college of his dreams soon and so would she. Her face reflected concern and those blue-green eyes he fell in love with shone brighter than any morning star could as they met his.