Questions

"So, how was the ball?" Armelle asked as she dried the last soup bowl from the night before.

Christopher leaned up against the kitchen counter. "Gosh, it was alright. Boring, if you ask me. But there was this girl -this one girl. She was different."

Armelle turned away, smiling.

"Gosh, she really reminded me of you."

Armelle swallowed. "Really? Should I take that as a compliment?"

"Gosh, of course! She was simply a princess version of you."

The day went on like this. Armelle was full of questions that she already knew the answer to out of curiosity to see Christopher's reaction.

In the late afternoon, she once again excused herself after the soup was prepared and hurried to her room.

With a flourish, Armelle whisked the second dress out of its hiding place.

It was a giant ballgown covered in silver sequins. The gown was indeed a tent. Armelle laughed, for she looked like an upside down teacup when she twirled.

***

"Princess Eleanora of Frell!"

The moment she reached the bottom of the staircase, Christopher took her hand and whispered, "Let's go to the library."

***

They burst into the library, laughing after dancing all the way down the halls.

"Gosh-! I-!" Christopher gasped in between breaths. "I have a surprise for you."

Armelle giggled. "Oh dear, now what? Are we going to fly down the hallways together?"

Christopher ignored her joke. "I received a Sense and Sensibility script last night as a 'celebration' gift, and thought about reading it with you."

Armelle was a bit disappointed. Of all people, why would he want to read it with Eleanora instead of Armelle?

"I ...sure! You're so thoughtful to think of me. It's such a coincidence I love reading scripts!"

The two of them read all through the party. Hours later, they were at the end of the book.

Christopher read in character, "Elinor, would you -can you -excuse me..."

Armelle and Christopher looked at the next stage direction:

(they kiss)

Christopher looked at Armelle straight in the eyes, leaned forward and gave her a small peck on the lips.

He glanced over at a grandfather clock nearby.

"It's 11:45. You should leave now."

Armelle didn't know what to say. A thousand questions clotted her head as she left the library.