Growing Up

Two years later...

"Everyone truly tried on the slipper?" Christopher shouted. His clear voice bounced off the shelves of books. What better place to recite the story of Cinderella than the library?

Armelle ran around the tables and chairs as if pushing against the crowd.

"I haven't tried on the slipper!" she desperately cried.

"Gosh, come on," Christopher muttered, checking the libretto in his hands.

"Why am I the stepmother?"

Armelle burst into laughter.

"By all means, make yourself ridiculous! Try on the slipper!" he pouted in a sophisticated tone.

Armelle looked at the book. "Oh no, switching genders!" she laughed. As close to a royal courtier as she could imitate, she gasped in a deep voice, "The shoe fits!"

Christopher glanced at the next line and shut the libretto. "I think that's enough reading for today, don't you think?"

Armelle was surprised. "But it's only fifteen to three o'clock! Besides, let's get to the happy ending when the prince proposes..." She noticed Christopher looked away.

"Is there something wrong with the prince's proposal?" she asked.

"Yes," Christopher whimpered. "Mother and Father have told me that it's time to find the right bride."

Armelle felt a lecture coming on. "Against your will? That's just ridiculous! You should have a right to wait and choose yourself!"

Even after all these years, nothing has changed.

"They have already planned to host three grand balls," Christopher muttered. "Those who can afford atrocious attire are eligible to attend."

He looked at Armelle. "Gosh, the only person I talk to other than my family is you."

Armelle couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"I wish you could come. We would be the only sprightly ones among the bored elders."

Armelle smiled at such a thought. "Don't worry. All I need is a thorough illustration of each night. That's all."

Christopher laughed. "Gosh, please. I'd probably have nothing else to do than observe every feature on the guests' faces."

But he would be wrong. His heart would be captured by one unique girl. Can you guess who?