Invisible

The carriage eased to a halt.

The door flung open beside Armelle.

"I believe we've arrived," one guard smiled at the girl.

Armelle grinned. At last no more people bowing or saying 'Your Highness'!

"Thank you," she returned the smile to the guard. All three of the guards walked behind the girl to the castle.

As she continued walking through the snowy white slush, Armelle could hear the guards murmuring, "Pity she must work for the King." "How polite she is!" "I've never seen such a well mannered peasant..."

A giggle escaped Armelle's pursed lips. They think I'm nothing of importance!

Usually one would be horrified being mistaken as an impoverished person. Especially if they were royalty. But Armelle thought this was the most amusing idea. She was like a superhero in the books from America. She had the powers of invisibility.

Armelle stepped up to the giant doors to the castle. Before she could knock, one guard stopped her.

"Oh, allow me."

Armelle pulled away. "Yes, of course. I'm sorry."

Though she hadn't realized at the moment, she had gained the trust of these guards for future moments of desperation -when she lost the power of being invisible.

The guard knocked, and the door shyly opened. Armelle was guided through corridors to see the king.

The curtains for the large windows were navy blue, just like the carriage. Paintings of the royal family were scattered across the walls. One portrait featured the whole family: a mother, a father, two daughters who were obviously identical twins, and a boy who was the only person grinning in the picture.

Finally, she entered the throne room. The king sat there occupied with his own thoughts until he noticed her.

"Your Majesty." The guards bowed deeply. "This girl was found deep in the woods. She is honestly of no importance. But, we thought she would make use to you."

The king turned his head to Armelle. While most would look away, she gazed deeply into his sunken eyes.

"What are you called by?" he asked softly.

"Armelle, sire," she responded, and immediately froze. Why did I just give away my name?

"Last name?" The king's eyes twinkled full of hope.

No response.

"It can't be Sauvageon, can it?"

Armelle shook her head, looking down.

"No, sire. I ...don't know my last name."

Silence.

"Very well then," the king nodded. "Armelle, you are welcome to move into the castle in exchange for working among the servants."

Armelle smiled. This is what she had wanted. Invisibility at last.