Chapter 4- Pass or Fail: Survival Test

The next morning I was awoken by something soft batting at my face. I turned and pulled the covers over my face, I then felt tugging on my covers. I sat up and grabbed the pup. I looked down at Raiden then smiled a little. I saw it was 4:59 a.m. just one more minute until the alarm goes off. What's the point in setting an alarm if Raiden is going to be waking me up? The alarm started to ring and I sighed. If I don't turn it off then Naruto will be awoken before he is supposed to. Then again the alarm clock is pretty far and it's a drag to turn off. But if I don't turn it off then the ringing won't stop. Might as well reach over and turn the darn thing off, even if it is a drag. My eyes widened, I have caught the Nara laziness! Darn it Sensei! You had one job and that was to not make us lazy. But then again Shikaku-sensei is a Nara. What can you really expect now, I turned the alarm off and got up and went to take a shower. After that I went to my closet door and threw it open. My closet was a huge walk in closet so I went on the hunt for my clothes. I found my choice of clothes which consisted of a white long shirt, which was outlined with red, a red skirt, underneath I had a long sleeved black shirt, and black spandex shorts. I wrapped my legs up to my knees and then slipped on my black sandles. In the middle I tied a black obi belt and a red ribbon on top of it. I pulled my long red hair into a bun and put two senbon needles in the bun while leaving my bangs down. I then tied my headband around my neck and I walked out my room going straight into the kitchen to start making food for Naruto and I. I then packed our lunches and started to make a list of groceries I needed to buy today. Knowing Kakashi, he will only have everyone introduce themselves.

I heard Naruto walk into the restroom and noticed that Raiden was not in the kitchen with me. Raiden then pounced into the kitchen with a smug gleam in his eyes. I stared at him then I put left over chicken in a bowl and then I set it down next to his water bowl. Naruto came into the kitchen and then we started eating after he said thanks. I noticed that Naruto kept on sending glares at Raiden and then figured that Raiden must have woken him up too. Naruto got up after he was finished and put his dishes in the sink. He then ran to get changed and I got up to wash our used dishes. Once I finished that I started to strap both of my pouches to my thighs and I strapped my belt on which held my needles, seals, and scrolls. I never left home without them because I never knew when I would need them. Each scroll held a variety of weapons and a custom made kusarigama that I mostly use on my assassination missions. Naruto was about to run out when I stopped him, "Naruto, your lunch." I said holding out his wrapped up bento. He smiled and took it running out after he kissed my cheek with a huge smile on his face.

I started to sweep the floors and pick up Naruto's now messy room. After that I let his room air out and went to clean mine and air it out. I heard something smash into the front door, "Minaaaaakooo!" I heard Takeshi call.

I opened the door and sweat dropped. Takeshi was now on the floor being stepped on by Minoru, "What part of surprise attack did you not understand?!" Minoru yelled at Takeshi.

"But you can't get into the house if you don't have permission from her." Takeshi's voice was muffled by the foot.

"Oh look that's a first, she's not wearing a mask." Minoru said.

"What is your point exactly Minoru?" I questioned crossing my arms. I let them in and started to close every window in the house.

"That you need to not wear a mask." Takeshi answered poking my cheek before he rubbed the whisker marks.

I slapped his hand away, "Anyways why are you here?" I asked them.

"Oh that, so you know how the chunin exams are held twice a year. Well this time it's our turn to hold them. The Third wanted us to tell you that during the time of the chunin exams you will be going back to your original duty and that is being his bodyguard and most trusted ANBU." Takeshi stated seriously.

"Hey, I'm not complaining. I happen to like spending time with the Hokage too." I said crossing my arms and looking at the time, "Talking about the Third, I need to go to the Jounin meeting. Now out you go!" I pushed them out the house and locked the door. Quickly I teleported into the meeting room and saw I was early. Well if you count Kakashi not being there as being early then yes I am.

I took my spot next to the Third Hokage after Kakashi got there. For once in his life he was actually early. We stared at sensei's crystal ball, "Most promising student Sasuke Uchiha. Is that him?" Asuma asked.

"Yes he's the one." Sarutobi-sensei said.

"So he's the only one left of the Uchiha clan." Kurenai stated.

"That's right." Sensei answered.

"Naruto Uzumaki, huh. Your brother Minako?" Kakashi asked.

"Yes, is there a problem with him being my brother?" I asked.

Kakashi ignored me. So we continued watching the students through sensei's crystal ball. I watched as Naruto got on the table and glared at Sasuke. You could see lightning zapping between their foreheads and the fangirls were complaining. Somebody bumped into Naruto and it made Sasuke and Naruto share a kiss. I blinked twice and started laughing, only to laugh harder when they were spitting out each other germs.

"As usual Naruto is right in the middle of some kind of trouble." Sarutobi-sensei said and hit me on the head forcing me to stop my laughing fit.

"Itai..." I rubbed my head and I saw Naruto looked beat up, "Tell me sensei, do we have to deal with a fangirl in squad seven?" I asked.

Sensei nodded and I got a dark aura around me, "Looks like someone will be put through my trials a lot." I said. Once again I was hit on my head and sensei told me to leave the fangirl alone.

"Now everyone is dismissed." Sensei said and everyone left. I stayed with him, "Why are you still here Minako? You were dismissed already." Sensei said.

"Sarutobi-sensei you and I both know that Kakashi will be late to meeting the squad." I stated crossing my arms and sitting on the floor. Sensei chuckled and looked at me seriously so I stood up and gave him my full attention.

"You have been informed of the exams by Takeshi and Minoru, correct?" Sensei questioned.

"Yes sir." I answered. I looked at him closely, "Are you thinking that perhaps Orochimaru will attack this year?"

"I am not sure but I feel as if Konoha will have a dark hour soon." Was all that he said to me and he ordered me to leave. I walked to the market and started to buy all the food I would need for the week. I might as well only do grocery shopping for the week each week. Makes it easier on me too knowing that Naruto actually has good milk and food at home. I also bought Naruto a whole new stash of ramen and got him some Ichiraku coupons.

I sealed everything in a scroll and headed to the Academy. I saw Kakashi waiting for me outside the academy, "Are you early or am I late?" I asked him.

Kakashi sighed, "A bit of both actually. We are already two hours late Minako." Kakashi said.

"It's on you either way. Two of the three genin know what I'm actually like." I responded as we walked down the academy halls.

We reached the class room and Kakashi opened the slightly opened door. I looked up and saw a chalk dust filled eraser fall which hit Kakashi on the head. I heard Naruto start laughing and I put a hand up to stifle my giggles, "I got him he totally fell for it." Naruto said laughing. Kakashi stepped aside so that I could enter the room.

"I'm sorry sensei I told him not to do it, but he wouldn't listen. I would never do a thing like that." Sakura said as she basically tried to become the teacher's pet.

Kakashi picked up the chalk eraser, "Hmm, how can I put this? My first impression of this group, you're a bunch of idiots." Kakashi said and it is safe to say their spirits were killed. Naruto and Sasuke finally realized I was there and their eyes held questions.

"So, our little newly minted genin, meet us on the roof top." I said as Kakashi and I disappeared from their sight. After a couple of minutes they finally reached the roof and sat on the floor in front of us. It was Naruto, then Sakura, and finally Sasuke.

"Alright, why don't you introduce yourselves one at a time?" Kakashi inquired.

"Introduce ourselves? Well what are we supposed to say?" Sakura asked. I looked at her, 'She's supposed to be the top kunoichi in the academy? Has the title really deteriorated that much since I was last in the academy?

"Things you like, things you hate. Dreams for the future, hobbies, things like that." Kakashi said.

"Why don't you tell us stuff first, I mean before we talk. Tell us about you so that we can see how it's supposed to work." Naruto said.

Kakashi pointed at himself, "Me? I'm Kakashi Hatake. Things I like and things I hate? I don't feel like telling you that." Kakashi said and I interrupted, "*cough cough* Icha Icha Make out Paradise *cough cough*" Kakashi ignored me and he continued his introduction, "My dreams for the future? Never really thought about it. As for my hobbies? I have lots of hobbies." Kakashi said and once again I interrupted, "*cough cough* reading porn *cough cough.*" He whacked me on the head.

"That was totally useless. All he really told us was his name." Sakura told her teammates.

"Okay your turn. You on the right, you first." Kakashi said looking at Naruto.

"Believe it! I'm Naruto Uzumaki. I like my sister Minako Uzumaki, instant ramen in a cup, and I really like the ramen Iruka-sensei got me at Ichiraku's. But I hate the three minutes you have to wait after you pour the water in the ramen cup. My hobby is eating different kinds of ramen and comparing them. My future dream is, TO BE THE GREATEST HOKAGE! Then the whole village will stop disrespecting me and start treating me like I'm somebody, somebody important." Naruto said.

Kakashi looked deep in thought so I called the next person. The fangirl, "Alright you with the pink hair." I said.

"I'm Sakura Haruno. What I like, uhh, I mean the person I like is," She looked over at Sasuke, "My hobby is, uhh," still looking at Sasuke, "My dream for the future," she squealed.

"And what do you hate?" Kakashi asked her.

"Naruto!" Sakura said without skipping a heartbeat. Naruto looked destroyed. Still can't figure out why he likes her. I mean she seems weak to me.

"Alright last one." Kakashi said looking at Sasuke.

"My name is Sasuke Uchiha. I hate a lot of things and I don't particularly like anything except perhaps one person." For an odd reason Sakura looked hopeful, "What I have is not a dream because I will make it a reality. I'm going to restore my clan and destroy a certain someone." Leave it to Sasuke to kill the mood. But just like I thought, he wants revenge on his own brother.

"Alright Minako you're up." Kakashi said.

"Right, I'm Minako Uzumaki. I like my brother Naruto, my adorable non-adopted sibling Sasuke, my evil little pup Raiden, and reading. What I dislike the most is when people underestimate me, fangirls, fanboys, and liars. My dream is to prove my best friend's innocence on a certain matter and to bring him back home safely. My hobbies are training, reading, and bothering all my mentors including Kakashi over here. Last thing I also like is my sensei's nindo, A teacher is never a giver of truth; he is a guide, a pointer to the truth that each student must find for themselves." I said smiling remembering when dad explained this to me and then when Shikaku-sensei told me the same thing.

"Good you're each unique and you all have your own ideas. We'll have our first mission tomorrow." Kakashi said.

"What kind of mission are we going to have?" Naruto asked.

I answered the question, "It's a task that the five of us will do together."

"What, what, what, what?" Naruto questioned eagerly.

"A survival exercise." Kakashi said.

"Huh? Survival exercise?" Naruto questioned.

"I thought we were supposed to have a real mission not more practice. We already did this stuff in the academy. That's how we got here." Sakura said.

"This is not like your previous training." Kakashi said.

"So uh, what kind of training is it then?" Naruto asked.

Kakashi started to chuckle while I smirked, "Hey hold on, that's a normal question. What's so funny?" Sakura asked.

"Well if we tell you the answer, you're not going to like it." Kakashi said.

I decided to continue and let my face show how serious I was, "Of the twenty-seven graduates who just came here, only nine will actually be accepted as genin. The other eighteen will be weeded out and sent back to the academy. In other words, this is a make it or break it pass fail test. And the chance that you'll fail is at least sixty-six percent." I explained.

"See didn't I tell you that you wouldn't like it." Kakashi said.

"That's crazy! We worked hard to get here, believe it! What was that graduation test for anyway?!" Naruto asked.

"Oh that? That was just to select candidates who might become genin or not." Kakashi explained.

"That's how it is. We decide whether you pass or fail." I said.

"Be at the designated training spot at 5 a.m. and bring your ninja gear." Kakashi said.

"That's it, you're dismissed." I said.

Kakashi looked at them, "Oh tomorrow you better skip breakfast or else, you'll puke." He told them and he disappeared.

I looked at my genin, "Ja ne!" I said and flashed home. I saw Raiden jump at my sudden appearance and I smiled. I pulled out the scroll I stored all the stuff I bought today. I went over to the kitchen and started to put everything away. In the process of doing so I started to heat up some water so that Naruto could make himself instant ramen. The last thing I unsealed from the scroll was a collar, two village headbands, and treats for Raiden. I walked over to the couch and sat down holding onto the black collar I had gotten for him. I grabbed him and put the collar on gently and then I tied the leaf headband around his neck loosely. I was going to train him so that he can protect himself and help me should I ever need the help.

Naruto walked into the apartment looking very happy, "Sis I want you to train me today!" He yelled pointing at me.

"And in what should I help you train in?" I asked him.

"Anything that helps me best Sasuke." Naruto said.

I thought about it and smiled, "Fine, but go eat first." I said and watched as he ran into the kitchen to make himself ramen. Once he was done we ran to the training grounds with Raiden following us. I stopped under a tree. I have decided to speed up Naruto's training a bit, "Alright Naruto, we will be climbing trees without our hands." I said. He looked at me with a poker face and I showed him what I meant. I walked up the tree and stood upside down looking at Naruto, "Do you know how I'm doing this Naruto?" I asked him.

"Using your catra." Naruto said. Catra? A fat cat? Not going to question.

"Naruto, its called chakra. Now chakra is created when two other forms of energy are molded together. Physical energy is collected from each and every one of the body's cells and can be increased through training, stimulants, and exercise. Spiritual energy is derived from the mind's consciousness and can be increased through studying, meditation, and experience. These two energies becoming more powerful will in turn make the created chakra more powerful. Therefore, practicing a technique repeatedly will build up experience, increasing one's spiritual energy, and thus allowing more chakra to be created. As a result, the ninja is able to do that same technique with more power. This same cycle applies for physical energy, except the ninja needs to increase their endurance instead. Now this exercise will help you, Naruto, become experienced in chakra control. Something you will need in the future, Naruto." I said crossing my arms.