Chapter 11

Niall' POV

"Louis, I have to make this quick, Beth's just passed out on me."

"On you? What?! Why are you with her? Where are you? Why is she 'on you'?" I could hear him pacing down the phone.

" Oli. He was here Louis. He was here. At. Her. House." I closed my eyes and pinched the bridge of my nose. In an attempt to calm myself down. I knelt down on the floor next to Beth. Balancing the phone to my ear I picked her up and sat down on the couch with her in my arms. No way in hell was I letting her out of my sight now. No matter what Louis said. I had to protect her.

"This changes things. Drastically. Wait until she comes round then leave...Niall, what did she see?" I thought over what had just happened. She had seen what had happened at the door and that was it. I hoped.

"Se had to invite me in. He had me by the throat Louis. If she hadn't invited me in I'd be... Well you get the gist."

"So apart from that she didn't see anything? That's good, we can think of something to explain it. Something rational that is." I sat stroking Beth's brown hair. She looked so peaceful, she looked beautiful.

"What would happen if we just told her the truth? About what we are? How we're..."

"NIALL JAMES HORAN! Do not ever tell that girl what we are. If you do, imagine what will happen. She will run from you and you will end up broken. Do you want that? Or would you prefer to spend these few short moments with her happy?" I stayed silent for a moment, the answer was staring me in the face. And Louis knew it.

"Happy"

"Thought so. I've got to go, management have called a meeting about Oli. They want to know what our plan is."

"We have a plan?"

"Exactly. Zayn and I are trying to figure one out now. You and Harry are not going to like it."

"What about Liam?"

"Keeping management occupied at the moment."

"So when you said management called a meeting you meant"

"That they appeared at our front door demanding to know what was going to be done? Yes. Gotta go, they are getting agitated now."

"Wait, what did you mean Harry and I won't like it?" I asked but it was too late Louis had hung up. Beth started to stir in my arms, slowly waking up. Her bright blue eyes fluttered open .

"What? Niall?! What just happened? Who was that? Shit my head!" She sat up, sliding off my lap and into the space next to me. She leant forwards and put her hands up to her temples. I knew she had a splitting head ache.

"That was an old friend, emphasis on old" I laughed darkly, she had no idea how old. If Louis gets his way then she will never know. "Don't know why he was here, but he managed to get my by the throat when you went to get your bag."

"Why did you need me to ask you in?" Shit.

"I don't like coming into people's homes without their permission. I know it sounds bad but my mum drummed it into my head so much that even when I'm in trouble I need to ask to come in." I laughed. Her eyes held a hint of doubt, I knew she didn't buy it. Then she burst out laughing.

"Only you would be so polite Niall! So, what happened to Cathy that she's in the hospital? Did he do something to her? I swear to god that I will kill him if he lay one finger on her." Her eyes lit up with a flare of anger. I was glad that she cared so much for her friend. It meant that they would protect each other in the future. Hopefully they wouldn't get into too much trouble though.

"No, when Harry took her home he took her back to our place, he told us what that thing does to Cathy. None of us would leave her alone with that prick. He was getting ready to take her home when she tripped on our stairs and went straight through the stain glass window on the second floor." I told Beth the cover story we had made up for why Cathy was so bashed up. We couldn't really tell her that the guy who was at her front door a second ago had tried to rip her best friend throat out could we?

"WHAT?!" Her face paled in a way which I thought impossible. The spark that lit up my days which lived in her clear blue eyes dissolved. Then they lit up. Only it was not with compassion and love, but with anger. Then they became full of sadness. Tears of hurt and anger. Beth collapsed to her knees and burst into tears. I held her in my arms and let her cry her eyes out.

"She does not deserve this. It's not fare Niall. It's not fare."

"I know love, I know." I wanted to tell her the truth. I wanted to tell her everything! My heart, which had been dead for so long felt crushed when I saw her like this.

But had to protect her from the truth. There is only one way to do that completely. Unfortunately, there was no way now of that happening.

I couldn't leave her now if the world depended on it. All because my world depended on her.