How It All Began

Money, Luxury, and a huge house. Seems perfect right? Not even close. It doesn't hide the fact that I'm broken. Physically and mentally. The man who's supposed to be my protector and put me out of harm's way is my harmer. Each and every day, fear is what is in my heart. Out of all things. Love should be there for my loving husband. But the thing is I don't love him. I'm afraid of him. Then why do I stay? Leaving is oh so easy. I honestly don't know. Maybe it's for the money, hope that he'll change, or even the kids.

I remember the first day he hit me. He promised he wouldn't do it again and like a fool I believed him.

Flashback

"Babe! Christina is you here?" I heard the keys jingle as he threw them on the table in the foyer. His shoes hit the floor with a thud as he kicked them off. "It's awfully quiet, "I hear him mutter to himself.

I sat at the kitchen table glaring at the door waiting for him to barge right. I didn't know what to feel at the moment. Angry? Sad? Disappointed? People did warn me about this but I didn't listen.

The door then eased open and his eyes lit up as he saw me. My glare didn't change as my eyes followed his body. Women would say that I'm lucky to have a man like Erik. His smooth dark chocolate skin and bulky arms that poked out of his sleeves. The smile that caught my attention the first day I met him. Women always threw themselves at him left and right. But at the moment I didn't care about that.

"Didn't you hear me calling you? "He asked as he leaned in for a kiss. My head jerked to the side causing him to kiss my cheek. He looked at me strangely and then went to the fridge.

"Where's the kids? "He asked as he looked through it. "At my mother's house, "I said in a flat tone.

He peered over his shoulder and studied me for a minute,"Uh Hun are you okay? "He asked me as he turned back around.

I glared at his back wishing that I could throw knives at it. Just so he could feel the pain I'm feeling right now. "No I'm not actually, "I paused at the moment and took a breath, "Especially after I found out my husband has been having an affair! "I said calmly.

I saw him freeze and I smirked. I got him just where I want him. He turned around and closed the fridge.

"Chris what are you talking about? "He asked as he came closer to me.

I see someone wants to play games. I chuckled bitterly, "Don't give me that bullshit. I got the proof all right here, "I said as I took a stack of pictures up and threw them in his face. They scattered amongst the floor.

He picked a couple of them up and shocked immediately masked his face. He didn't know I knew he was having an affair with his assistant. The late nights working at the office, the smell of cheap perfume, and the hickies all along his neck. He thought just cause he dark I couldn't see them, no no no.

"Babe listen it was a mistake, "he pleaded as he reached for my hands.

I don't know what lead him to this affair. I cooked, clean, have my own job, took care of the kids and I'm pretty sure I did my thing in the bed room.

"Don't touch me, "I said through clenched teeth. "I want you to go upstairs and pack all your shit."I said while pointing towards the stairs. I was fed up with him being in my presence.

"Can we at least work this out? "He asked as he grabbed my hands.

"I said don't touch me!!"I yelled as I slapped him in the face. His jaw clenched as I brought my hand down.

He looked down at me and I saw anger flicker in his eyes. I soon regretted slapping him.

He raised his hand up and back handed me sending me to the ground. The sound of his hand meeting my face echoed throughout the house followed by silence. I looked up at him in horror as he towered over me. He stared at me for a couple of seconds then stormed out the kitchen. '

I heard the door slam followed my screeching of the tires.

I always knew Erik had a temper problem but in my 10 years of knowing him, I thought I would never see that side."

End of Flashback

I am Christina Lawson and this is What Lie in The Shadows.