05: Bella's back!...but Edward leaves...

It was Summer. Bella had come back from who knows where, sporting a cast. We'd all gone to Prom, even though Bella had strongly protested. Edward eventually persuaded her to go.

*Flashback*

It was surprisingly warm on the night of Prom. Both Eric and Tyler had asked me to go with them, but I'd politely declined. I figured I'd go it alone. I was only going to make my dad and Bella happy. I'm pretty sure Bella would've murdered me if I'd stayed home.

I sat on a bench outside where prom was being held. The theme was Monte Carlo. How tacky.

Bella walked up with Edward at her side. I flinched when he caught my eye.

"You coming inside Jess?" She asked. I smiled politely. "I will in a minute. I think I'll mentally prepare myself first." She laughed and Edward smiled. "Well, hurry. I need all the help I can get." She said, motioning to her cast. I chuckled. "Will do." She smiled. Then she looked behind me, smiled again, and pulled Edward inside.

Suddenly, I felt hands cover my eyes. They were big hands. and they were warm.

"Guess who." The person said. I faked like I was thinking. "Hmmmmm...." I could feel the person getting impatient. "Oh, for cying out loud!"

It was definately Jacob.

"Alright, alright. I think it's......Seth." He groaned, and I laughed. I laughed, and I couldn't stop. He uncovered my eyes and sat beside me. "You knew it was me." He said, and I continued to laugh.

"You know, I hate that game." He said, once I could no longer breathe.

"Gosh, who doesn't?" I said. He chuckled. I punched his arm. "What's up, Jake?"

He sat for a minute. "Well, I was gonna tell Bella something, but I'll tell her later." I looked at him. "Why not just tell her now?" He answered almost immediately. "Cause then I'd have to leave you."

He blushed, like he'd said something he hadn't meant to. I chuckled. "Oh." Was all I said.

We sat there for a while.He took my hand again. I smiled. "Why do you keep doing that?" I asked him. He grinned. "Force of habit." I laughed. That was unlikely.

The sky began to grow dark. I saw Bella and Edward dancing in the distance. It made me smile. "They're adorable aren't they?" I asked Jacob. He frowned. "Yeah. Freaking gorgeous."

I let go of his hand. He huffed. "Sorry." I sighed. "Yeah."

"You just don't get it." He said. I laughed. "I get soooo much more than you think, Jacob Black." He looked at me funny. I stood up. "I should go inside. I'm only here because of Bella. He sighed. "Well, if you have to go, take this." He pulled a single red rose from his pocket. I gasped. It was gorgeous.

He handed it to me. "Since you don't have a date." I smiled, "Yeah, nobody asked me."

He laughed. "You're not a very good liar, Jessie Carter." Then he turned and left.

*End Flashback*

Prom was nice. But seeing Jacob was definately the highlight of the night.

_____________________________________________________________________________

JPOV (Jacob's Point of View)

The thought of Bella being with Cullen was kind of repulsive. But, for some reason, the thought of Jessie being with him made me angry. I mean, she wasn't. But it still made me mad.

Bella and I had been friends since the beginning, but when she introduced me to Jessie, things kind of changed.

It was like, Bella didn't matter anymore. I'd had a crush on Bella for the first few weeks of her return. I gotta admit; she was hot.