Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Ariana felt her heart skip a beat when she and Jax finally stopped walking minutes later. They stood at the edge of the most beautiful lake she had ever seen. The water was bright blue reflecting the clear skies above them, the grass around was just as bright and healthy as the one by the house. Colorful flowers, kinds she had never seen in any shop were bunched together at the edge of the water. “How did you find this?” she asked, breathless. She was pretty sure her mom and everyone else didn’t know about this place.

“I was curious. A few nights ago I was out taking a walk and just kept going past the pathway.”

“Do you come out here a lot?”

“Every chance I get. You can add ‘outdoors type’ to the list of things people don’t expect from me.  It’s freeing to be alone with the earth, the fresh air and silence from nature.”

Ariana watched his profile as he spoke, he really did seem at peace out there. His blue eyes a weird color as the blueness of the lake swam along them. “You’re definitely unexpected.” She agreed, smiling softly as she turned and admired the view along with him.

They made their way quickly back to the yard for dinner where the family waited for them to return. Like the other days they immersed into conversations about school and work, Julie took center attention as her stories were always the longest.

After dinner as the sun started to set Mary whipped out desert; s’mores. “It’s like a camping trip but without sleeping outside with the bugs. We’ll all go to our comfy beds after this.” She joked as Mitch powered up the grill for the marshmallows.

Mary joined Ariana at the empty table and wrapped her arm around her shoulder. “This is going better then I could’ve wished for. I want to thank you for accepting Mitch and the kids without a fuss.” She said as the family in question stood around the grill out of listening reach.

Ariana smiled. “Have I ever given you a fuss? You picked a good guy. I’m happy for you.” She hugged her mom and glanced at the sky. The family was getting along without any tense pauses and she and Jax found an understanding. For a day that had a pretty scary turn it was turning into one of the best days she could’ve asked for.

That all changed that night.

Ariana couldn’t seem to fall asleep.  As much as she tried to forget what Charlie did it didn’t work when she was alone in the darkness of her room. There was nothing to distract her from the cruel memories. She climbed out of bed and switched on her lamp at the desk. She looked over her homework and couldn’t find one thing to change, something to read to pass time; it was all done. Next she examined her closet and found some clothes that needed folding. That only took minutes and there as still six hours until school. It would be foolish to go to school without sleep but that’s how the night was shaping out to be.

A soft tap on her bedroom door caused her to jump and forget about the school work ahead. She moved toward the door and carefully opened it; there was no need to wake up the whole house.

On the other side she found Jax waiting. “I heard you moving around up here.” Her room was above the basement. “Can’t sleep?”

“I tried but nothing works.” She whispered while letting him inside then and closing the door. “Charlie’s not going to forget what happened and leave me alone.”

“That’s why you can’t sleep?”

She nodded. “I tried not to let it bother me and it didn’t until I closed my eyes. I keep thinking of what he’ll do or say next. I don’t want him making trouble for you.” She felt a little better to voice her concerns; Jax was the only person she could talk to.

“I can handle it and I don’t think he’s stupid enough to touch you again.” His eyes darkened as the memory of his threat floated in the air.  “You should try and get some rest, I heard you telling Julie about your math test tomorrow.”

“Yeah.” Ariana mumbled, she had just been thinking about that test when she weighed the pros and cons of not sleeping that night.

“We’re friends now, right?” he asked suddenly.

“Yeah.” She answered, confused about the change of topic.

“Then you won’t freak out if I suggest I stay here until you fall asleep.”

That surprised her. “You’d do that? What about you?”

“I don’t have anything important tomorrow. I’d rather stay here with you anyway.” Jax explained softly as he looked into her eyes. “A friend helping a friend.” It was clear he didn’t want her to get the wrong idea and push him away again.

“Ok, I’d like that.” When Jax was around she didn’t remember Charlie.

She climbed into bed under the covers, Jax laid next to her above the covers after turning off the lamp. It wasn’t as awkward as she was expecting, it was actually very comfortable; safe. They talked easily about simple things to pass time and it wasn’t long before she felt her eye lids grow heavy. She closed her eyes and listened to Jax’s soft male voice as he talked about his childhood pet snake after they compared notes on what they felt was the best food in the world.

When she woke the sun was out and she had managed to get a few hours of good sleep. Jax was gone but she expected that, she didn’t want to know her mother’s reaction or Mitch’s if Jax had been caught in her room.

But that didn’t stop them from sharing a bed again the following night and for the rest of the week.