Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Ariana had been nervous when Charlie wanted to prolong the date. She had agreed to a date and this is what he considered a date. Begrudgingly she agreed to leave the restaurant with him. They left their cars in the parking lot and went for a walk. Like he said it wasn’t anything she considered bad. He was trying his hardest to be polite; he hadn’t once tried to cross her personal space.

They walked down the dim lit street to an ice cream parlor. She smiled. “Really?”

“Do you not like sweets?” he smiled and hopped in the small line. “Because I do. Come on Ari, my treat.”

“It’s been your treat all night.”

“True, so?” his smile grew, there was light in his eyes. For some odd reason he was enjoying this night.

“Ok, surprise me.”

“A challenge.” The person in front of him was gone and it was his turn. Charlie leaned in close to the counter and gave his order out of her range.

Ariana grew nervous but there was no fear at all in it, despite herself she smiled and enjoyed his company. It was better then sitting in her bedroom crying for something she couldn’t change. Charlie paid the man and came back to stand next to her.

“Here.”

“What is it?” she asked eying the white cup and little red spoon.

“Ok, close your eyes.” She eyed him warily. “Please? I am not above begging, I will get down on my knees right now---”

“Ok, I believe you.” she closed her eyes and gave in. She was coming to learn in the last two hours that Charlie would talk her to death. He took a spoonful of ice cream and a mix of other treats and put it to her mouth. She tasted vanilla ice cream, oreo cookie, caramel and something else. “An odd mix.” She opened her eyes

“My own concoction.” With the same spoon he got another bite and ate it himself.

“You don’t know what I got.” She frowned.

“I’m sure whatever you have I can handle….goody two shoes.”  They started walking again.

She gasped. “Ass.”

“Yes please talk dirty to me.”

She hit him in the arm and took his ice cream. “No more for you.”

“Hey, give it back. I gave you the chance to get something.”

She swallowed another spoonful, it was good enough to forget the spoon was just in his mouth. “No.” he tried to grab it and she dodged the attempt quickly enough. “No,” she said again and took off running.

“Ariana!”

She momentarily questioned why she was doing this, why she was engaging with him and having fun. She heard him quick behind her and decided to dash through the park. She stopped at the swing set and waited for him to catch up. “Took you long enough.” She was swinging back and forth slowly as she finished his ice cream.

“It’s a good thing you’re pretty.” He sat on the swing next to her. “You look like you’re having fun.”

“I’m not, I just like ice cream and you’re not the devil incarnate I believed.”

“Thank you, I guess.”

She put the now empty cup on the ground. “What did you mean earlier when you said you weren’t all there?” she asked, letting the night take a more serious turn.