Problem

Erin had a problem; she was sure of it. Maybe not with herself. No, definitely not with herself. Her problem was with Voight, she figured out. If he loved Jay and he loved her, Erin, then how could he not love them together or at least the thought of them together? How could he hate the fact that they were dating? They were engaged; he should be over his misgivings by now.

After a while of simply driving around, Erin pulled into a gas station and sat there for a minute. When she looked at the car to her right she recognized the driver. Erin rolled down her window and he did too.

"Why are you are you following me?" Erin yelled.

"I needed to know where you were going. I know you're not sick. You never get sick, Erin." Voight said, he turned his engine off and stepped out of his car.

"How did you do it? Follow me, exactly?" She asked.

"Easy. Cameras. Cops. GPS. It's not difficult to track someone; you know that." He said as he opened the passenger door. He sat in her car and then turned the key in her ignition to shut the car off.

"Hank, get out. I don't know why you followed me; I don't even know why you care. Please get out of my car." She said. Her face had begun to turn red because she was mad. She was angry, furious even.

"Erin, I care about you. I followed you because I don't want you to do something you'll regret. Just come back to the district and we can talk. It's okay."

"Hank. Don't talk to me like that. If you really cared for my feelings-for me, even-you wouldn't care that Jay and I are together. That shouldn't bug you if you really care about me as much as you say you do." She said while turning her car engine back on.

"One day, you are going to have children, Erin Lindsay. And if those children happen to be with Halstead, then those kids' parents would both be getting shot at. They would be at the risk of dying every single day. I guess what I'm trying to say is..." He paused then grabbed her hand. Erin cut him off before he could continue, though.

She pulled away. "Is what? We aren't good together? We aren't meant to be?" She yelled at him, obviously upset at the fact that Voight was trying to argue about her feelings towards Jay with her.

"No. I just think you can do better, better than Jay. He's a great detective, a great cop, but he isn't boyfriend material. Not for you."

"Excuse me? If anything, he could do better than me. He is more of a gentleman than you. He doesn't try to argue with me about my own feelings, for one. Plus, you don't know him like I do. You don't know what we've been through. He... I love him, and I really wish you did too. Unless you'd like to tell me that you're sorry for all of the trash you're talking about my boyfriend, please get out of my car or-" Voight got out of her car before she could finish her sentence.

"Just remember this conversation." He said then got in his own car and drove away.

"How could I forget." She said then headed back home. She had no idea what she was doing. She just needed to drive for a while. She needed a break. She needed to get away, if it was just for half a day.
When she got back to the district, she saw Jay. She saw Antonio. She saw Ruzek. She saw Atwater. She saw everyone she loved. And she knew that she couldn't lose them, but if losing them meant keeping Jay, she wouldn't. She'd rather lose Jay as a boyfriend, because if that's what it took to stay at that district, to stay a detective then that's what she would do. She knew Jay would understand her decision. She knew that she loved him. And she knew that one day they would be together. Though thick and thin they would only come closer, and so she walked up to Jay's desk.

"Jay. We have to break up. I love you. But we can't be together." She took off the ring on her left hand ring finger and tried hand it to him. He wouldn't take it so she put it on his desk right next to his computer. "I'm sorry." She wasn't crying, she just felt like she was dying inside. And so she sat down and began to work.

Edited by FanFictionly and Argemo