Book 2⌇Epilogue: Left To Die

Epilogue ∣  Left To Die

-Orion

"Mother, we're surrounded!" I yell, edging away from the white windowsill, the new moon darkening the night sky; save for the few stars that peak out from behind the storm clouds. My mother grabs my shoulder, forcing me to look into her white irises.

"You need to get out of here. They're coming for me, not you," my mother's stern, but loving look says everything that goes left unspoken. The vampires are here because of what father did. It seems they've tracked us down. My mother has jet black hair, the same as me with matching white irises, we've been marked and referred to as 'hunters' by the vampires.

We age much slower than humans, our lifespan is five times that of a human, but we don't have immortality like the vampires do.

"Mother, no. Let me stay and fight with you. I won't leave you!" My hands clench into fists.

My mother smiles sweetly, brushing her hand down the side of my cheek and whispering, "They don't even know you exist. You have to go."

The sound of doors being ripped apart, wood splintering and metal coming away from the frame meets our ears.

"Upstairs," my mother orders.

"Bu-"

"NOW!"

I scan her eyes and then shake my head, her hand leaving me as I sprint up the wooden staircase, taking the steps two at a time. My heart stops in my chest, and I cease my movements, a male voice emanating from the lower level.

Focus...

I calm myself, the blood flowing in and around my heart coming to a very slow stream.

Don't think.

Breath out.

Exhaling slowly, I'm able to slow my heartbeat down to one beat per five minutes. I'm still able to live at this point, but I must use my blood magic to circulate through my heart without it beating.

"There you are," I can distinguish this as the male who must have found my mother.

Good, he can't smell me.

Mother must have transferred her own scent to me when she touched me. I'd never seen anyone do that before, but there was something different about her than anyone else she'd introduced me to.

"Enos," my mother regards the male.

"So, this is where you've been hiding this entire time, right under my nose," Enos chuckles.

"Hiding? No, more like existing after you killed my husband," my mother spits with venom.

Enos growls right back, "Your race was a mistake."

"Hey, don't blame us. It's you filthy purebloods who can't keep it in your pants and must fuck a human to get off instead of your own kind. What, vampires aren't good enough for you?" I can hear my mother stepping, coming closer to the staircase.

I know we are the offspring of a vampire and a human...not just any vampire, a pureblood. My mother and father were both hybrids, and that is how I came into existence. I was the first child of two hybrids, proving they could reproduce on their own. My mother and father had been planning to raise an army...to destroy the purebloods for what they'd done.

First, they create us, then they shun us.

It's not our fault we still have a mortal soul.