Book 2⌇18. Runaway Princess

Chapter 18 ∣  Runaway Princess

-Evicka

Standing at the top landing of the marble staircase, Lucca's arm wraps around my waist, the long sleeve silky smooth, midnight blue dress I wear reaches just above my knees as the neckline dips slightly. My long winter white hair is pulled back and tied at the base of my neck.

"Are you ready?" Lucca whispers inquisitively.

I glance at him sideways, admiring the dark slacks, black dress shoes and a matching blue button-up shirt to accent my dress. He's all dressed up to meet the parents. Yes, we met them before...but not in a way like this.

It had been a week since the events in Moscow and Lucca had finally gotten in contact with Locaine. My mother was with him. They had returned to his place of residence in Hollywood, California before coming to meet us here.

I've waited nearly two hundred years to see my mother, I can wait one more week to be reunited with her. My heart pulls in my chest at the thought of seeing her again...she'd given everything to protect me, and I couldn't save her.

It had been my father...

Nodding and breathing in deeply, we descend the staircase, my two-inch silver heels clicking softly down each step.

Lucca's coven is abuzz, members lingering around in the front living area and the entryway, murmuring to themselves. They'd obviously seen the king's appearance and are probably wondering why he is here and who he is with.

We reach the entry landing, my thoughts running wild. Eryx's broad smile meets me as he turns to the parlor doors. My parents arrived not that long ago, settling themselves in and awaiting our presence.

Eryx reaches out and takes the handle of the parlor door, opening it for Lucca and myself to enter. I find myself very much in love with this room, as Lucca has many bookcases, black lounge chairs and couches, and coffee tables throughout. The light honey marble is a nice contrast to the cerulean walls that surround the room.

My heart begins to speed up, feeling the pulsing of my blood through every vein. I breathe in sharply as Lucca's arm leaves my waist, gently placing both of his hands on my mid back.

"Lucca...I-I can't..." My voice betrays me.

I pick up familiar scents...

It can't be...

"You can," Lucca nudges me lightly into the room. My mixed feelings toward my father worry me. I'm moreover very much afraid of what happened in Moscow. He'd almost killed me...but it wasn't entirely his fault. If I'd said something, it wouldn't have happened.

As Lucca reminded me countless times, if I had said something, he wasn't sure how deadly the conflict would have escalated. He commended me on my silence, my loyalty was something he'd never seen before.

My heart lurches into my throat. What I expect to find are my parents alone. Instead, I'm now looking out at what I've grown to know as my 'family'. Zak and Janie sit on a couch, leaning against the arms as they turn their attention to me.

Rainier is sitting in a separate chair, silencing his chatter with Kenzie and Killian who are facing him on an opposite couch. Their eyes drift to me and before I know it, Killian bolts from his seat, wrapping his arms around me.

Killian...

"Killian," her voice sounds.

Killian releases me, my eyes glancing from his to see my mother and Locaine standing near the brick fireplace. Her brown hair falls down her chest as she's dressed in a lovely white dress with matching heels. Holding my gaze, her white irises are full of so many emotions.