Book 2⌇4. Boundaries

Chapter 4 ∣  Boundaries

-Zak 

"I'm sorry, Kenzie," I lower gaze on the medium size, birch wood dining room table. I sit on one of the stained white, birch wood chairs, along with Janie and Rainier.

Kenzie is leaning forward with her hands planting themselves on the surface of the table. Arching a brow, she asks me, "You're sorry for what?" Her lips alter from a tight line to the ends curling up slightly.

I briefly look up at her and reply, "For thinking you were weak."

"Ah, yes, the big man's ego shrivels up in the face of defeat," Kenzie laughs, tossing her long hair back behind her shoulders. Her crystal blue eyes spark with a sudden confidence boost.

I bite back a comment, attempting to play nice with everyone. It's in my best interest to avoid further confrontation until I have a better understanding of who Evicka is.

Speaking of the devil...where is she?

It had been almost nine hours since she had taken off as night fell. When she left, she was wearing quite the...rather risky outfit, and I have no idea where she is going. All I know is that Blaise is her target.

Janie and Rainier had continued to train with me, but after a few hours, we had all grown exhausted.

Killian, on the other hand, did not leave the front living room, sitting on the brown couch in deep thought.

"Janie?" Kenzie's voice breaks my thoughts.

Janie's hair shields her face, and she replies, "What's up?"

"Can you make Rainier and Zak some dinner? I am worried about Killian," Kenzie's face darkens, her own thoughts traveling to her beloved.

"Why are you worried about him?" I ask, leaning my elbows against the table and staring at her.

Kenzie is not as enthusiastic as she usually is. Her eyes are full of pain and sadness when she replies, "Because he worries about Evicka. He's supposed to protect her, but he can't when she runs off recklessly like this."

"Why don't you go with her then?" I arch a brow as the solution appears quite evident to me. Evicka is easily the one in charge here, even though it doesn't seem like it half the time.

"She's my best friend...but she is also my superior, and I don't question her," Kenzie's voice falters for a moment.

She hates it when Evicka leaves her behind.

It's becoming easier to read these creatures the more I'm around them.

Janie's chair screeches slightly as she stands up from the table, walking into the kitchen to prepare dinner. Rainier narrows his eyes on me, questioning my motives now with my continued questions.

"Well then," Kenzie feigns a smile, "I'll leave you three to it." She moves around the table, exiting the dining room and turning down the hall to join Killian in the living room.

They fear for her life.

Why is she so important?

The more I observe their interactions in the small-time frame I've been here, the more I'm beginning to understand that there's more to Evicka than what's on the surface.

"Stop pestering them," Rainier finally voices his opinion, drawing my attention in his direction.

"I'm n-," I begin, but I'm cut off as he knocks back his chair, leaning forward against the table and narrowing his eyes once again on me.