Book 2⌇6. Masquerade

Chapter 6 ∣  Masquerade

-Evicka 

"I want to welcome everyone to a night of mystery and illusions," his voice carries out with ease.

This must be King Locaine...

...he commands the room with his presence, all eyes are on him. He has short white hair that comes down the right side of his face, over his mask; where the back part is spiked up. He wears a sapphire button-up shirt under his vest, his eyes are a brilliant icy blue.

King Locaine smiles warmly to his esteemed guests, the recognized coven leaders and then nods to the rest of the room.

Just like that, everyone begins milling about and continuing to socialize. I glance back over my shoulder and notice Zak talking to a girl...a vampire girl wearing a satin and lace mask resting on the bridge of her nose.

The vampire has long blonde hair that is pulled into two ponytails that cascade down over her breasts. She is wearing an exquisite floor-length black dress with white trim.

"Pet?" I ask, standing behind Zak while observing their interaction. He whirls around the second he hears my voice, his expression one of surprise.

"Oh...he belongs to you?" The vampire speaks with curiosity. She then offers me a friendly smile and extends her hand, a glass in the other while presenting herself, "Hello, my name is Emily."

I take her hand in my own and smile while returning, "I'm Elani," I release her hand and move toward Zak, "this is my pet, Zak."

"Such a handsome name," Emily compliments him.

"Emily," a vampire comes up behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist and kissing her on the cheek, "Locaine is requesting our presence."

"Michael," Emily turns in his arms and then points toward me. His eyes meet mine through his dark mask, an uneasy feeling passing over me at the way his gaze lingers. A moment, Emily introduces Zak and me, "This is Elani and her pet, Zak."

"It's nice to meet you, Elani," Michael releases Emily and acknowledges both Zak and I's presence. He then reiterates, "Emily, let's go."

Before I know it, they are making their way across the ballroom, coming to stand at the far back corner. I can see them speaking to three of the purebloods, but I'm not exactly sure about what.

"Unfortunately...pet," I break the silence while Zak's eyes meet mine, "I can't dance with you tonight. You will be able to socialize with the other pets over there." I point in the direction of the many other collared individuals.

"I thought I would be by your side tonight, mistress," Zak replies, confusion in his eyes.

Now you are acting like Killian...

"You really shouldn't question your mistress," a deep voice sounds from behind me. I feel it reverberate through my entire body, almost rooting me to the spot.

Zak's eyes grow wide, terror filling them. I have never seen him so scared...

The one hunter I know that holds his ground fights back with everything he has...is completely afraid.

I can feel the voice right beside my ear, his breath caressing my neck when he continues, "You should listen to her...considering you're a hunter."

I freeze, my breath quickening.

How did he figure out Zak is a hunter...?

I turn around, my eyes meeting the vivid icy blue ones that had welcomed his guests not that long ago.